Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Internet Technologies :

Mail delivery -- What exactly is 501 error attributable to?

Quote Reply
Mail delivery -- What exactly is 501 error attributable to?
Take the following error for example:

<user@recepientdomain.com>:
recpientdomain.com [XX.XX.XXX.XX]:
>>> MAIL FROM:<sender@senderdomain.com> SIZE=11729
<<< 501 <sender@senderdomain.com> SIZE=11729: malformed address: SIZE=11729
may not follow sender@senderdomain.com

This happens only for certain recepient domains only... and the messages bounces back. Where exactly is the fault?

Thnx

Anup
Quote Reply
Re: [anup123] Mail delivery -- What exactly is 501 error attributable to? In reply to
Error codes are specific to the mail server I believe. The only common thing is 500 level error codes are permanent errors and 400 level errors codes are temporary errors, and 200 level codes means a successful delivery.

As for your error, it looks like it messed up sending who the message was for. You should not have SIZE=nnnn after the mail from.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] Mail delivery -- What exactly is 501 error attributable to? In reply to
Hi Alex,

Thnx. It's courier-mta in my case. This error comes for certain domains else it is all working for others. I have observed for four domains uptil now. With all others it is fine. And yes the error is reproducible for the domains (and not particular account on those domains).

So is it related to my mta or is it something to do with SMTP-HELO ...

Thnx

Anup
Quote Reply
Re: [anup123] Mail delivery -- What exactly is 501 error attributable to? In reply to
Your mail client is sending:

MAIL FROM:<sender@senderdomain.com> SIZE=11729

which I don't believe is valid (as far as I know, you don't add a SIZE=nnnn to the end of MAIL from). That's what courier is complaining about.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] Mail delivery -- What exactly is 501 error attributable to? In reply to
Hi Alex,

I am sending mails thru GM. That SIZE=nnnn is not added by me anywhere in the from address. That addition takes place i do not know how and where but only happens for few fixed domains. With rest of the domains that i send mails to it is not reporting this error....

Thnx

Anup
Quote Reply
Hi Alex.

Could it be that the MTA issued "MAIL FROM...SIZE" without first issuing "EHLO"?

If yes where exactly to set this right?

Thnx

Anup
Quote Reply
Hi,

Possibly, but SIZE=... is not valid for an SMTP server. It should be only:

MAIL FROM: <address@example.com>

that's it. See:

http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc821.html

for more info.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Hi Alex.

Just a live example. Earlier my mails to ace-installer.com and linkssql.net (when they were not hosted with GH), the mails used to bounce back with the error mentioned. After their switchover to GH, the mails are now getting delivered. Does it imply that it also has something to do with the recepient's server too??

Andy is happy that i can now mail him on his mail addresses.

Thnx

Anup
Quote Reply
Hi,

No, your mail agent is probably still broken and sending the SIZE, it's just that qmail doesn't care and accepts it anyways:

Code:
220 gossamer-threads.com ESMTP
helo localhost
250 gossamer-threads.com
mail from: <alex@gossamer-threads.com> SIZE=123
250 ok
rcpt to: <alex@gossamer-threads.com>
250 ok
data
354 go ahead
test
250 ok 1069096022 qp 17066

Other mail servers aren't as forgiving, which is why it was bouncing on the old server.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.