Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Internet Technologies :

Linux & FreeBSD?

(Page 1 of 2)
> >
Quote Reply
Linux & FreeBSD?
Hello,

How much of a difference is there between these two OS? If I move from a Linux platformt to FreeBSD, I suspect I have to reconfigure my scripts and some may not even run - am I right? I am referring to 3rd party scripts here (like GT scripts). What are other differences between these two, advantages, disadvantages......

thanks
Quote Reply
Re: [socrates] Linux & FreeBSD? In reply to
Not much. The scripts should run fine.
========================================
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me
Quote Reply
Re: [socrates] Linux & FreeBSD? In reply to
Perl scripts will be fine. Compiled scripts can either be recompiled on FreeBSD, or run with linux emulation layer which is just as fast as running on naitive linux.

I love FreeBSD. It feels better to me than linux
Quote Reply
Re: [Mark Badolato] Linux & FreeBSD? In reply to
Yep - FreeBSD "rules". :-)

- wil
Quote Reply
Linux is better at handling I/O cache than FreeBSD, but FreeBSD is more efficient at creating/destroying processes.

Sendmail is also better at handling incoming email on linux but FreeBSD is better at relaying.

Code:
Linux FreeBSD

Incoming e-mails: 362 mails/sec 318 mails/sec
Mail relaying: 167 mails/sec 192 mails/sec

Last edited by:

Paul: Apr 16, 2002, 2:34 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] Linux & FreeBSD? In reply to
Where'd you get those stats? I've never seen sendmail come close to handling anything like that (at least not the default configuration).

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] Linux & FreeBSD? In reply to
http://www.byte.com/...94/byt20011107s0001/
Quote Reply
I wouldn't exactly quote from that article as scientific proof ;)

I will say that I know that I have some scripts that bring my rh box to it's knees, and my freebsd box says "psssh yeah, that all you got?"

but, every environment is different. tuning etc.
Quote Reply
Im sure they both have their own strengths and weaknesses.
Quote Reply
Nah. FreeBSD is just amazing. Period. ;-)

- wil
Quote Reply
Re: [Wil] Linux & FreeBSD? In reply to
FreeBSD isn't perfect by a long way.

Perhaps you could explain why it's so perfect instead of just stating it is Cool

Last edited by:

Paul: Apr 17, 2002, 2:44 AM
Quote Reply
Because in my own experience, it's the best dist out there to run a stable server on. I just can't fault it, and it even takes me a good effort to crash it :-)

- wil
Quote Reply
And this was a real funny story that happened last week - proves that even Microsoft favour the old FreeBSD now and again :-)

http://slashdot.org/...?sid=02/04/02/130234

- wil
Quote Reply
You still haven't explained why its good..hehe.

Linux is good for running a stable server (you've said so yourself) so what makes FreeBSD better?
Quote Reply
I can't tell you why, I'm just personally feel more confiden in FreeBSD.

- wil
Quote Reply
http://uptime.netcraft.com/...gossamer-threads.com

Pretty clever :)

>>I can't tell you why<<

I knew that :)...thats why I was forcing the issue Laugh

Last edited by:

Paul: Apr 17, 2002, 3:21 AM
Quote Reply
Yeah - That's what I was reporting about in the following thread last December:

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/...orum.cgi?post=171818

- wil
Quote Reply
I was referring to the uptime and stats rather than the Gossamer Server bit...because I know how they did that Sly
Quote Reply
Ah right. What's clever about it?

- wil
Quote Reply
Ok if its not clever, tell me how I work out a remote servers uptime as well as trace their server software and ip back a year.

Last edited by:

Paul: Apr 17, 2002, 4:08 AM
Quote Reply
Ah. Sorry, we've got our wires crossed.

I thought you were specifically saying that the Gossamer Server uptimew as clever.

I totally agree with you; the netcraft site and their data is brilliant.

- wil
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
Ok if its not clever, tell me how I work out a remote servers uptime as well as trace their server software and ip back a year.

Thinking about this one; I guess you just query the machine at a periodic basis and log the results into a database. Then run a check to see if the information has changed, and log it by date. Hm, this could be done quite easily.

Still, the size of the database they have and their network resources must be preety astonishing.

- wil
Quote Reply
Yeah but it seems to work it out just based on you entering an ip/url, unless (more likely) they are continually monitoring the net and are looking up the data from their database rather than doing it on the fly (which I guess would be impossible).

The uptime stats can't be that accurate - they'd have to be pinging the server every few minutes.

Last edited by:

Paul: Apr 17, 2002, 4:18 AM
Quote Reply
Look in their FAQ section - it answers most of your questions.

It does all the working out from days, months, years of research in it's database. If you enter a URL that it hasn't seen before it will give you a notice saying that it has been added to the database, and after 10 days of monotoring it will being to show uptime statistics for that domain/host.

Try the following URL to see what I mean: http://uptime.netcraft.com/....walesyearbook.co.uk

Uptime for machines that are not in the database is really simple for most *ix based machines anyway - you can just issue it with the query uptime and see what values it returns.

- wil
Quote Reply
>>
Uptime for machines that are not in the database is really simple for most *ix based machines anyway - you can just issue it with the query uptime and see what values it returns
<<

Oh yeah, I use uptime all the time...I didn't think it could be done remotely though.

Hmm I wonder how my urls got into their database.

Hmm

10:40pm up 5 days, 3:23, 1 user, load average: 0.00, 0.02, 0.00

Had to reboot the sucker the other day :)

Last edited by:

Paul: Apr 17, 2002, 6:35 AM
> >