Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Internet Technologies :

Is this the killer app literally?

Quote Reply
Is this the killer app literally?
... open office aka ... staroffice ...

Now, when you have Gates calling a group of programmers "Commies" you gotta think that this must be the boogie man to him.

Come on, Gates made a fortune off of copying and distrubuting to the world. Now, his tactics are being used against him. Except the killer app is free.

HEHE ... now you know why JAVA is not included with XP.

Imagine, compaines that were limited to M$ for licenses now can take the same yearly update money get cheap hardware and run an app that will do what most companies need to be done.

ie ... a cheap $300 box, free sys (aka linux ... your favorite flavor) and openoffice (aka ... the office killer)

well ... that leaves M$ and Apple to do something else ...

I feel sorry now for Gates since he strangle hold is weakening and yet he still is getting nailed in courts. Yep, it's unfair but here's pie in your face Bill.

openoffice + gimp + sketch ... Smile
Quote Reply
Re: [QooQ] Is this the killer app literally? In reply to
I just saw where MS tried to sue Lindows.com for trademark infringment and lost.

http://www.lindows.com/...es_archives.php?id=7

--Philip
Links 2.0 moderator
Quote Reply
Re: [sponge] Is this the killer app literally? In reply to
oh hum ... gee that's a new idea.

Nautilus failed.
while OSX succeeded.

a nice idea but I wish M$ would've bought BeOS and canned dos for it's foundation.

Some folks are starting to write that M$ showed do what Apple did and just grab a linux distro and rebuild in it's own image.

Quote Reply
Hm... If the courts said that Microsoft must put it's Windows operating system into the open source movement, do you think anyone would really want to work on it?

I'm all for Windows picking up a Linux background as long as they don't force you to have a degree to use it, and it still looks and feels like Windows.

--Philip
Links 2.0 moderator
Quote Reply
Re: [sponge] Is this the killer app literally? In reply to
hehe ... I don't imagine anybody would want to an improve the current windows system.

Even though I loath M$ I wouldn't want to see their efforts be forcibly made into an open source movement, it just wouldn't be fair to them.

hehe ... I can barely use mv and still have troubles with the idea of shells. I barely even realize I'm on a BSD system. Now, if M$ could do what Apple has done. ... I'd go buy a VAIO Angelic

I see the workspace enviornment in the next few years changing drastically into a dumb terminal type of thing:
cheapola hardware + *nix + openoffice
This alone will save companies soo much money.

Just think if you pay $50 a computer / year to M$ for sys-updates ... and you have 100 machines ... that's $5,000 ....

Now just imagine ::: $5,000 x 1000 companies = $5 million dollars of lost revenue to M$ .... pretty soon *nix and openoffice would change that $ in M$ back to it's proper moniker of S ... Micro"soft" ... and microsoft would be left with ??? XBOX.

Quote Reply
It's an interesting idea, but one that I think ignores corporate culture and its desire for stability and support in-depth.

Last edited by:

HeavyBombers: May 8, 2002, 5:35 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [HeavyBombers] Is this the killer app literally? In reply to
hmmm .... yes for those who can afford such support but for those who can't I'm sure openoffice will have it's impact.

could be wrong too though. Angelic