Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Internet Technologies :

Is this Normal?

Quote Reply
Is this Normal?
I don't have access to telnet so I have to use WS_Ftp to upload my cgi files.

However, everytime I upload the files, I have to set file permission to chmod 755.

Once I do that and exit out of the directory, the file permission is reset to something other than 755.

Why does that happen? Is there a way for me to set file permission within the CGI files so I don't have to worry about it being changed everytime?

Please and thanks
Quote Reply
Re: [shaan] Is this Normal? In reply to
It's ok, it's just your ftp client playing tricks with you. This used to happen to me with WS_FTP. You may wish to use AbsoluteFTP (www.vandyke.com) or perhaps Cute_FTP (www.cuteftp.com...I'm not keen on that one)
Quote Reply
Nope. This isn't normal at all. Are you sure the permissions are set correctly when you do set them? Look in the FTP log, maybe you don't have permissions to set files or directories?

- wil
Quote Reply
Re: [Wil] Is this Normal? In reply to
>>
Nope. This isn't normal at all.
<<

Like I said Wil, it is related to WS_FTP, it used to happen to me all the time...permissions were still fine, it was probably just a WS_FTP bug.
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] Is this Normal? In reply to
Hm. Strange. Can you remember what version of WS_FTP?

- wil
Quote Reply
Re: [Wil] Is this Normal? In reply to
It was quite a way back...6 something

I would have thought it would have been fixed by now though.
Quote Reply
I use ws_ftp 5.08 and sometimes if you change a permission you have to click "refresh" & then view your directory info in order to see the "proper" permissions. However if you've closed out the program or changed directories then it should show the proper permissions.
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] Is this Normal? In reply to
You could also try SmartFTP:

http://www.smartftp.com

It's takes a little getting used to, but it's a nice program.

------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: [Watts] Is this Normal? In reply to
Yep...same thing happens to me. I am slowly but surely migrating my FTP operations to SSH since it seems to work pretty well...although I also like using AceFTP, great program.
========================================
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me
Quote Reply
I use CuteFTP Pro 2.0 and it works great. The interface is great for managing multiple sites if you need it. It can also switch to the classic interface if you want it.

It costs some money though.

--
jsu