Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Internet Technologies :

Image Compression...which formats compress best??

Quote Reply
Image Compression...which formats compress best??
Hi All

I'm trying to preserve excellent scanned color images of medical stuff, but to compress them well enough to display on a secure web page.

The idea is to make color images more financially attractive for storage purposes than black-and-white images.

If I start with a jpg image, is there a format that I could convert it to that has a lossless compression but that also can be scrunched using gzip?

Many thanks. Smile

------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: [DogTags] Image Compression...which formats compress best?? In reply to
I'm not anywhere a pro on this but ... here's a the tad bit I know.

gif = regular images
jpg = photo like images
png = both

It seems that png would be the choice to go with since it normally has the best quality in most standard situations.

You might also want to consider pdf as an option. You could then add text and compress to your hearts content with zip, tar, or sit.

comprassion rates and what not I really have no clue.

openoffice + gimp + sketch ... Smile
Quote Reply
Re: [QooQ] Image Compression...which formats compress best?? In reply to
Many thanks, QooQ. I'm gonna start some experiments soon. I took a jpg, 0% optimized, and used gzip on it. The original image was 30K and the gzipped image was 28K. So, I have a little homework to do. Thanks, again, for your info. Smile

------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
sorry, for not being more helpful Blush

Quote Reply
.tif files are very large and very high quality, but they also compress quite nicely (I've experienced as much as 80% reduction in file size)

Fractured Atlas :: Liberate the Artist
Services: Healthcare, Fiscal Sponsorship, Marketing, Education, The Emerging Artists Fund
Quote Reply
Re: [hennagaijin] Image Compression...which formats compress best?? In reply to
That explains why I've seen the .tif format come out of nowhere on Apple's OSX. Until now macs didn't do much with .tif so to say. I shyed away from .tif since I thought it was more of M$ deal than something useful.

Thanks!

Quote Reply
We use MacroMedia's Fireworks for images - you can pull in an image and convert it to just about any format. You can also preview the quality and estimated "load time" before you save. I highly recommend it.
Quote Reply
Re: [Watts] Image Compression...which formats compress best?? In reply to
Which _is the PNG extension mentioned above...
========================================
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me
Quote Reply
Re: [QooQ] Image Compression...which formats compress best?? In reply to
TIFF is just a bitmap format. Shortened as *.tif for the PC platform, *.tiff has long been used on the MAC and I suppose they just shortened it for broader file compatability.
Quote Reply
Re: [ArmyAirForces] Image Compression...which formats compress best?? In reply to
I wouldn't say "used" really. But you're right .tiff has been on the mac for a long time. With OSX I7ve just seen the usage of it increased. Heck, macs support so many esoteric formats that you can actually loose count count of them all.