Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Internet Technologies :

Good merchant account service?

(Page 1 of 2)
> >
Quote Reply
Good merchant account service?
Ok..not sure if anyone has had any experience with this. I'm basically looking for a merchant service that will be able to offer me a merchant service to accept credit-cards etc. I'm used to laid back PalPal...but I recently had a bad experience with them..so am looking for other ways to accept payments. I dont mind paying a little a month (up to about £50)...the main thing I am looking for is being able to offer purchases in both US$/CA$ and GB£.

Anyone know/got any experiences with this kind of merchant service, and if so, who? I've been looking around...but all the ones I have seen so far are ridicuasly priced Frown

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy.] Good merchant account service? In reply to
What bank are you with? Most banks now offer you merchant account for a nominal fee.

- wil
Quote Reply
Re: [Wil] Good merchant account service? In reply to
I'm with Nat West. I may have a look at that. My main thing is, once I have the merchant account, how would I intergrate the scripts etc with my account? This is all quite new for me (in case you havn't noticed)..I'm used to PayPal and ClickBank Tongue

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
You'd buy yourself a secure certificate and run them directly off your site into the (usually shared) merchant account.

It's worth checking out their website for more information.

- wil
Quote Reply
I'm looking at this one now....http://www.worldpay.com/usa/index.html

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Oh well...$400 setup fee....sod that Frown I'm gonna just keep to PayPal/ClickBank for the time being, until I do this as a full time job Tongue

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
So, I take it you didn't look here:

http://www.natwest.com/...S/MERCHANT/ECOMMERCE

- wil
Quote Reply
Sure did...but that page redirected me to StreamLine, and stream line are partners (I think) with WorldPay..so world pay was the only one I could fiund a price for Wink

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Costco.com uses NOVA and the rates appear to be very attractive. I don't know how easy this or any other merchant account would be to get. Unfortunately, it appears to be a USA only solution.
--
Rob

SW Montana's Online Community
Modular Model Railroading
Quote Reply
Re: [vanderen] Good merchant account service? In reply to
Looks like costco members get a special thingy too...

http://www.iongate.com/costco/body.asp
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] Good merchant account service? In reply to
Thanks, that costco one looks pretty good. I have just sent their support people a message. The fees seem reasonable, but will shall wait and see. I am hoping they offer services in Canadian Funds.
Quote Reply
Re: [Ian] Good merchant account service? In reply to
Once again PayPal are being complete pricks! They just refunded 2 payments of $39.95 for absolutly NO REASON! If anyone is reading this...DONT USE THEM! I'm trying to stick to ClickBank at the moment..but their rates are soooo high! As soon as I can afford a merchant account/service I'm definatly gonna go with it!

Sorry, just had to vent that Tongue

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Mmm...actually, re-looking at WorldPay, their fees are not that bad (didn't see this page before). Have a look at http://www.worldpay.com/...ng_worlddirect.shtml to see what I mean. Hasd anyone ever had any experience with them?

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Andy, I think I mentioned once on this forum before:

Why don't a few of us team up and share our own? Lets make the cost of doing this less then these people while giving us control over it. I have maby 1-2 transactions per month at the moment so Idefintately could not justify doing this myself. But I do dislike the restrictivness of Paypal - they don't support my countries currency for a start, and I don't like the lack of customization for their payment screen (it really does look like you have left your site and gone somewhere else). They could easily have implement a templete scheme (much like we do with links), where the whole process at least looks like your site.

Thats my two bits anyways.

I think it is $10,000 or something rediculous for the bond you have to put up in Canada, just to process setup the transaction account... don't quote me on this, but this is what I remember last time I enquired.

I wonder if the UK is any better setup (and cheaper)?

http://www.iuni.com/...tware/web/index.html
Links Plugins
Quote Reply
No, the UK is not much cheaper Frown I could probably justify getting one of these account now, as my monthly income is quite a lot higher than they are charging. The main problem is the initial setup fee, and I'm just worried that if I don't like the service they offer, then I can't exactly say "oh well, it was free, and I gave them a go", like I could with PayPal Frown

As for sharing an account...this would be quite hard, especially from my point of view with having to keep business books and accounts. There is also the problem of how you would get your money...as the money is paid on a weekly basis into your bank, in which case mine would be a UK one.

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
I have a UK bank account. But thats ok, if your setup doesnt permit sharing, I understand.

I agree with you about getting stung after putting up the money to set something up. How do you know its not just another dud?

I think on-line money handling is one of these things which will become more accessible and cheaper each month. It has too, as more and more small business want it, and there are so few options in my opinion. For most people, it seems to be Paypal.

If I had the resources, I can see a market in this for sure - especially for countires outside of the US.

Links Plugins
Quote Reply
LOL..I just realised you are sooke Tongue I wondered where this Ian guy came from all of a sudden Wink

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Ha ha! I was wondering why everyone stopped talking to me all of a sudden!!!Wink

I think yogi has worked it out, and now you.... maybe it was a mistake! I am going to make an announcement in this forum!!

Links Plugins
Quote Reply
Maybe you should make that 'former alais' in your sig a little larger....something like;

Former Alais: sooke

Wink

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Yes, i just posted something about this in a new thread.... but how did you set your font so big?

Links Plugins
Quote Reply
You use: [size 6] and then I made mine bold, just for good measures Tongue

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
I think i've got it. Though signature block is bigger than most of my posts now!

Links Plugins
Quote Reply
You can get rid of it once everyone has got the idea that it IS you Tongue

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Yes, it is very irratating on the eyes. Takes peoples attention from the content of my posts, where they should be looking (and helping) Tongue

Links Plugins
Quote Reply
Yay.,..Alex got me 'Andy' (without the .)....thanks Alex Smile

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
> >