Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Internet Technologies :

Embedded CSS

Quote Reply
Embedded CSS
I noticed GT uses embedded Cascading Style Sheets in quite a few of their pages. Where a person is using dynamic or cgi generated static pages, is it preferable to embed the CSS values, or to use an absolute link to the CSS? ie: http://yoursite.com/includes/text.css
--
Rob

SW Montana's Online Community
Modular Model Railroading
Quote Reply
Re: [vanderen] Embedded CSS In reply to
In most cases I would reccomend linking to a centralized style sheet so that changes can be made to one file that take effect on the entire site. Much easier to maintain this way.

I can only guess that the reason this is not the case on dynamically generated pages here at GForum is that there is an ability to change the templates so any page can theoretically be changed.

Although, this is an interesting topic, and one that has been discussed on the Gossamer Forum Discussion board, and a few users (including myself) have expressed an interest in converting the forum templates to use stylesheets for easier mantinenace and greater control.

- wil
Quote Reply
Re: [Wil] Embedded CSS In reply to
True statements... However, one needs to be careful with a centralized stylesheet - sometimes one change to a class can "undo" changes to other pages that weren't intended, this is especially true when using stylesheets to control justification & text alignments.

-Mike

Somewhere a peddler shouts in the void, 'there's enough blood this morning to stain a thousand pages, and enough people to buy them to appease their rage'.