Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Internet Technologies :

Email program [Does it exists.....]

Quote Reply
Email program [Does it exists.....]
Hi,

Due to the fact that I'll be studying abroad for 4 months I have forwarded all my emailaccounts to the online-mail-service of my university. This so I read and send emails when I'm away. But......

It would be very nice to have all my emails in my mailbox 'at home' when I come back. To keep my history complete! (Always very usefull.) To do this I could ask to person using my computer connected to DSL to open up Outlook once and a while, but as you can understand I would rather not have anyone else being able to read my personal and business emails.

So the question is: Does anyone know a program (i.e. software) that would be able to download my email at provider (popmail) without displaying the email on the monitor. (= a kind of ' hidden' mode.)

Thanks in advance.
Quote Reply
Re: [cK] Email program [Does it exists.....] In reply to
Assuming you're going to be using the same email software at school as you are at home. Have you thought of using something like an email backup service?

Something that will allow you to backup only a portion of your emails (the emails that your home computer doesn't have) from your school computer then restore/import them on your home computer?

Myself, I use a unix mail client at work, and at home so I just copy all the data over and I can keep a full history. Maybe if you can find which files outlook keeps its data?
Quote Reply
Re: [Aki] Email program [Does it exists.....] In reply to

Unfortunately I can't backup or store email received at my university's online email-program. I even need to delete all mails every 3/4 days, due to the data limit. That's why I would like to have a program on my 'home computer' to download my emails without allowing the current user to read them. (Currently I'm using Outlook.)