Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Internet Technologies :

Disc Images - do you need exact same new hard drive?

Quote Reply
Disc Images - do you need exact same new hard drive?
Hi All

I'm thinking of making a disc image of one of my puters, and I have a few concerns:

1. Will your new image only work on a new hard drive that is exactly the same as the originating drive?

2. If there is enough space, can you store an image on the same drive that you took it from? (I know, this sounds weird, but thought I'd ask)

3. If you put the image on a totally new drive and new machine, must the new machine exactly match the old machine for hardware, etc? (I'm guessing so)

The idea is that I'm trying to find a pretty easy way to help my non-techie support people to get a new machine running in case my current box takes a dive.

Many thanks
Smile

------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: [DogTags] Disc Images - do you need exact same new hard drive? In reply to
Dogtags...
As long as the new hard drive is large enought to accomadate the install, it won't be a problem, the only problem you will have is if you install an image to a new system with different hardware (drivers, hardware, etc..) Also you can copy the image to your existing hard drive, as long as you have drive space. I use a dvd burner for mine...

</not a clue>
Quote Reply
Re: [Dinky] Disc Images - do you need exact same new hard drive? In reply to
I think I see......I could make an image of my current drive and then if my current drive goes insane, I can just go get a new drive and install the image (from wherever) to revive the current machine. Okay, that's fine

Thanks, Dinky Smile

------------------------------------------