Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Internet Technologies :

Default Email Retrieval - view details first

Quote Reply
Default Email Retrieval - view details first
Hi All

One big thing that has always bothered me about a lot of email programs is that they cause you to download the email first to find out what has been sent.

Then, you have to search for the spam, delete it, delete it again from Trash, etc.

What would be better, and which is available in some other programs like Pegasus - http://www.pmail.com - is that you can preview the email subject lines, sizes, From, To, and I think some other things. You can then delete the spam from the server and download the rest.

This gets rid of (most) of the spam before it ever hits your local machine.

So, the Default Email Retrieval procedure should first include a Preview List of waiting mail which you can cull through.

This is, in fact, the way that web-based email scripts work.

I just did a virus scan on a friend's machine, and he had close to 50 infected files, primarily due to spam. If he had been able to preview the mail, he could have zapped most of the bad stuff and saved himself a lot of trouble. He is, like most users, a regular guy trying to find a comfort zone with computers.

Sorry.......I guess I'm just venting.....Smile

------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: [DogTags] Default Email Retrieval - view details first In reply to
I find that SPAM filters in Outlook 2002 work pretty well. Fair enough, you still have to download the email...but 95% of my junk gets filtered out daily (if its definate junk, then it will even delete it totally if I ask it to Tongue).

Pretty nice tool.

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!