Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Internet Technologies :

DMOZ.org going *really* slow?

Quote Reply
DMOZ.org going *really* slow?
Am I the only one noticing this, or is http://dmoz.org going REALLY slow? Took 4 minutes to even load a category page for me! Its not my connection, cos all other sites load lightning fast for me (I'm on ADSL)....

Didn't DMOZ get taken over recently? Could it be they have moved server(s) ? (sure they must have more than one server...lol)

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] DMOZ.org going *really* slow? In reply to
Still being hosted at Netscape:

http://uptime.netcraft.com/...h/?host=www.dmoz.org

It's slow for me too, though. Here's a hint:

Code:
23 bb2-ntc-P5-0.atdn.net (66.185.152.118) 154.655 ms 154.633 ms 154.342 ms
24 pop3-ntc-P1-0.atdn.net (66.185.142.115) 154.611 ms 155.283 ms 154.210 ms
25 nscp1-nc1-P4-3.atdn.net (66.185.142.154) 154.187 ms 154.458 ms 154.195 ms
26 * * *

Now I'm no network admin. but that looks way screwed to me.

- wil
Quote Reply
Re: [Wil] DMOZ.org going *really* slow? In reply to
Yeah.. thats what I thought. The content.rdf.u8.gz file downloads at an ok speed though?

Very odd!

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!

Last edited by:

Andy: Sep 15, 2003, 6:03 AM
Quote Reply
Hello,

DMOZ is really slow since months, I weant to add links to DMOZ since moths without success, due to timeout's.

It seems that the servers of DMOZ/Netscape can't handle the amount of requests it currently receives.
Quote Reply
Re: [ridesworld] DMOZ.org going *really* slow? In reply to
Yeah... I know its been slow for a while, but I just thought that was cos I was on dial up when I last tried it. Now I'm on ADSL, I know its not me. Its a shame... cos its a good directory.

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Ack!

Quote:
ERROR The requested URL could not be retrieved

While trying to retrieve the URL: http://editors.dmoz.org:8081/

The following error was encountered:
  • Access Denied.

Access control configuration prevents your request from being allowed at this time. Please contact your service provider if you feel this is incorrect.

Your cache administrator is webmaster@dmoz.org.

Generated Sun, 21 Sep 2003 10:29:10 GMT by dmoz.org (squid/2.5.STABLE3)

*definatly* something bad going on here Shocked Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Yep...I do believe that DMOZ is on its last technology leg...it either needs to upgrade its systems, both database and web servers, or shut down its operations, or let it be bought out by a company that has the available technological infrastructure to appropriately handle it.

I tried browsing a section of the DMOZ and most pages timed out at 30 seconds...and I am using a Satellite connection (averaging 500 KPS down) .
========================================
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me

Last edited by:

Stealth: Sep 21, 2003, 12:09 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [Stealth] DMOZ.org going *really* slow? In reply to
Yup...I'm on ADSL.. and every other site loads really fast for me, except DMOZ. They seem to be back on now.. and going quite fast. As you say, I think its well due for a hardware upgrade. Arn't they owner by Netscape, or do NS just use their data?

I thought I heard rumors that AOL were buying them out a few month ago? Unsure (probably just dreaming..lol)

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Andy,

I just got done communicating with a couple DMOZ editors and they told me that they have completed upgrading their servers (both db and web), which was a summer long project, which took longer than they thought.

I've noticed that DMOZ has improved in terms of download speeds in the last couple days.

Hope this helps.
========================================
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me