Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Internet Technologies :

Cyber-Squatting...

Quote Reply
Cyber-Squatting...
I'm just wondering how easy it is to get a domain back from someone. Someone has registered a .co.uk, for which one of my clients has their name registered at Company House. Due to the fact they have their company registered, that means they have priority over the domain, right? The current owner has no site, so I'm assuming he is just squatting on it.

Has anyone had any experiences with following up Cyber Squatting on .co.uk domains? I wouldnt have the slightest idea where to look...so registrars/authorities all seem to be so mixed up now Unsure

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Cyber-Squatting... In reply to
In the UK, if you have been a limited company trading for greater than two years you have right to your company name as a domain name and you can claim it back instantly. We've done this twice, unfortunately.

- wil
Quote Reply
Isn't it up to the company to retrieve their domain rather than you?
Quote Reply
Re: [Wil] Cyber-Squatting... In reply to
In Reply To:
In the UK, if you have been a limited company trading for greater than two years you have right to your company name as a domain name and you can claim it back instantly. We've done this twice, unfortunately.

Is it easy to claim back though? I was looking through the Nominet.org.uk site, and they mention fees of £700 Unsure

I'm just researching into it on behalf of my client, so I can point thme in the right direction (they don't have the slightest idea where to start).

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
I've never claimed one back through official channels. I've always sent an email or way more effective, ring up the domain contact from the whois output, tell them they have no legal right to the domain and threaten legal action. Most if not all will back down I can guarantee you - unless of course he has a legitimate use for the domain.

- wil
Quote Reply
I can't actually see a contact email, phone number, or anything on the WHOIS record ... its coming up as a "Detagged" domain Unsure

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Whats the domain?
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] Cyber-Squatting... In reply to
The domain is LifeStyleSupport.co.uk

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Hmm I see what you mean. No domain and no contact info.

I guess the only route you have is to snail mail the address.
Quote Reply
Ok..thanks, I'll forward that to my client :)

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Did you check out the link given by the whois output regarding dettaged domain names?

Code:
Registrant's Agent:
No agent listed. This registration is DETAGGED.

For details regarding the DETAGGED status please
refer to: http://www.nominet.org.uk/ref/detagged.html

Check out that URL and it will tell you all you need to know to claim the domain.

- wil
Quote Reply
Yeah..I looked at that. Thats where I saw the £700, £3000 and £1000 price figures...which got me scared Crazy

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Well if you aren't paying then you don't need to worry, right?
Quote Reply
Yeah..I was trying to keep the costs down for my customer though Wink

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk