Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Internet Technologies :

Browser won't access web - after idle for a while...

Quote Reply
Browser won't access web - after idle for a while...
Hi All

I have this strange prob with my browsers (FF and IE).

I'll be on the web, buzzing around just fine. Then, I'll go out and make lunch or whatever and come back, but then the browser won't access any new web pages.

Instead, in the status bar it will say, "Looking up (whatever)...."

One thing that is weird is that if you have a tab open to a site already, that site specifically almost always still works.

It's just when you try to go out to a new site that the dang thing won't work.

I have to reboot the machine and then it all works fine again. My machine seems to be working fine otherwise (knock wood....), and this prob has existed for months.

I don't think it's a router prob (cable router) cuz a wireless puter gets through just fine (more testing being done at the moment)

Has anyone run into this where if your machine is idle for a while that it won't reach new URLs and you have to reboot to get it to work again?

Many thanks Smile

------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: [DogTags] Browser won't access web - after idle for a while... In reply to
Hi,

I get it all the time :( Normally its down to downloading too much data for the session (my ISP limits me to 30gb/month, although I'm not sure they track Telnet sessions :D).

I can normally get it back on again, by disconnecting my local network, and then reconnecting. Its a real PITA when running large SSH processes, as it looses the connection ... but it seems to work for everything else :)

Hope that helps.

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Browser won't access web - after idle for a while... In reply to
Hey And Smile

What's weird is that another puter using a wireless on the same cable router is working just fine. It doesn't seem to time out. It's just mine with the direct connect that seems to have the prob. I'm testing the wireless some more. We'll see.....

Last edited by:

DogTags: Mar 17, 2005, 9:38 AM
Quote Reply
Quote:
What's weird is that another puter using a wireless on the same cable router is working just fine. It doesn't seem to time out. It's just mine with the direct connect that seems to have the prob. I'm testing the wireless some more. We'll see.....

Ditto! I have 3 machines, all running off a wireless router, although I do link in directly on CAT5 connectors, rather than having to use the wireless cards, which I've found pretty useless :(

The other 1 machine work's fine (never, ever had a problem with it). I get it randomly on my laptop and this machine though. Real PITA Frown

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Browser won't access web - after idle for a while... In reply to
I'm trying something with the LAN connection in XP. I disabled and then re-enabled it. It may have worked. More tests as the day goes on......

Last edited by:

DogTags: Mar 19, 2005, 6:32 AM
Quote Reply
it is my security programme that does this- often because of an incoming TCP but also for various other potential threats.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alba] Browser won't access web - after idle for a while... In reply to
How do you get access again?

Do you have to reboot?

Thanks Smile

Quote Reply
Yes, always.