Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Internet Technologies :

Becky! Mail vs Eudora.....is Becky! better?

Quote Reply
Becky! Mail vs Eudora.....is Becky! better?
Is Becky Mail better than Eudora?

Can Bmail import/export Eudora mailboxes and data?

I have like 250 mailboxes, 10,000 emails just in the Inbox, a bunch of filters.

Can Becky download Headers so that you can delete spam from the server before downloading your mail?

Eudora can't (as far as I can find).

Any opinions?

------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: [DogTags] Becky! Mail vs Eudora.....is Becky! better? In reply to
Hi,

I think it's better. =)

I've been using it for four years now, and have over 2 million emails and it's really quick. It's not flashy, but it is very configurable, and easy to work with, especially if you handle a lot of email every day.

My only complaint is the lack of SSL support. This is something that has been promised in a future version, but I'm still waiting.

It has import/export ability, and can import from mbox files, or a series of .eml files.

You can click on 'Remote Mailbox' and it will show you all the messages in your pop account (without downloading them), from there you can view headers and delete messages directly off your pop box.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] Becky! Mail vs Eudora.....is Becky! better? In reply to
Thanks, Alex! Smile

Quote Reply
I've been using Becky! for about a year now and I love it. Again, it's not very flashy but it's damned fast and does everything I want to do and more. It's great for an IMAP account (what I use it with) and is very configurable. I am now using this in favour of Eudora.

Cheers

- wil
Quote Reply
Re: [Wil] Becky! Mail vs Eudora.....is Becky! better? In reply to
Another vote for Becky!

Thanks, Wil Smile

Quote Reply
Does Becky allow you to set your own headers in outgoing email?

I've been using Pegasus Mail since year zero, mainly for that reason. But management of old email is rather awkward, and program interface is still approx 1990, so I'm looking for a good alternative. Eudora and Bat also seem like good candidates.
Quote Reply
Re: [YoYoYoYo] Becky! Mail vs Eudora.....is Becky! better? In reply to
Yes.

- wil
Quote Reply
I'm gonna check Becky Mail out but , If I may, I've got a few questions before I do.

Can Becky Mail Have have multiple e-mail accounts setup in it because Eudora can.

Can Becky Mail have the different e-mail accounts have separate Folders with separate In Box and Out Box for each of those accounts.

and when Becky sends the e-mail. Can you have Becky Mail filter the outgoing e-mail to be put where you want the e-mail to be put?, because Eudora can.

Is becky a Stand alone program so if you want to copy the whole Becky Program's directory and paste it next to the Becky directory you just got done copying, paste it some place else and have the new copied Becky program run? because Eudora can.

How about this, can you take that "just copied" Becky Program's Directory and rename it and still have it run? because Eudora can.

If you look at the image above, the "CC--BBH--PPC etc" used to be "Eudora 4.2" which was it's Default name and unable to be renamed. I copied the whole program's directory from Windows Explorer right clicked beside the Eudora 4.2 directory and pasted it. I renamed the newly copied Eudora program's directory from "Copy of Eudora 4.2" to "CC--BBH--PPC etc" and had another full Eudora program ready to go. As a matter of fact I did that 3 more times.

Sometimes I have 3 Eudora exe's loaded at the same time with no problem , oh by the way, I run it on my 200 Mhz/192 MB RAM quad boot Windows 95 machine( I run 95 (org OS) , 98, NT4 and Mandrake Linux 6.0) . I also use it on my 1.5 yr.old Dell 933 Mhz/256 MB RAM quad boot Windows 98SE ( I run 98SE, ME, Win2K, XP Pro) on that machine. The only problem I've had with Eudora 4.2 is with Win XP.

I've been on the Net since '94 and I've used every e-mail program imagineable. Trying this one out and trying that oneout. The only other E-mail program I've like is a program called Calypso but I'll definitley check that Becky Mail out.
"Helping others is life's best reward !"

With Regards,
Chris Perron
Computer Commandos TV Show
E-Mail: host@computercommandos.com
Quote Reply
Re: [TVHostChris] Becky! Mail vs Eudora.....is Becky! better? In reply to
In Reply To:
Can Becky Mail Have have multiple e-mail accounts setup in it because Eudora can.

Yes.

In Reply To:
Can Becky Mail have the different e-mail accounts have separate Folders with separate In Box and Out Box for each of those accounts.

Yes.

In Reply To:
and when Becky sends the e-mail. Can you have Becky Mail filter the outgoing e-mail to be put where you want the e-mail to be put?, because Eudora can.

Not sure about this one. I would presume it would go to the outgoing/sent folder associated with that mailbox.

In Reply To:
Is becky a Stand alone program so if you want to copy the whole Becky Program's directory and paste it next to the Becky directory you just got done copying, paste it some place else and have the new copied Becky program run? because Eudora can.

You can move the program folder, yeah, as long as you change your icon links to reflect this. Becky! also uses a data directory which is typically in your Documents and Settings -> Application Data but you can set this wherever on your system during install. If you move that, Becky! will choke on startup and you will have to tell it the location of your data directory again.

In Reply To:
How about this, can you take that "just copied" Becky Program's Directory and rename it and still have it run? because Eudora can.

See answer above. I don't see why not -- but why would you want to do this?

In Reply To:
If you look at the image above, the "CC--BBH--PPC etc" used to be "Eudora 4.2" which was it's Default name and unable to be renamed. I copied the whole program's directory from Windows Explorer right clicked beside the Eudora 4.2 directory and pasted it. I renamed the newly copied Eudora program's directory from "Copy of Eudora 4.2" to "CC--BBH--PPC etc" and had another full Eudora program ready to go. As a matter of fact I did that 3 more times.

See the same answer above. Why you would want to do this when Becky! supports multiple mail accounts? You can name your mail accounts anything you want. It defaults to 'default'.

In Reply To:
Sometimes I have 3 Eudora exe's loaded at the same time with no problem , oh by the way, I run it on my 200 Mhz/192 MB RAM quad boot Windows 95 machine( I run 95 (org OS) , 98, NT4 and Mandrake Linux 6.0) . I also use it on my 1.5 yr.old Dell 933 Mhz/256 MB RAM quad boot Windows 98SE ( I run 98SE, ME, Win2K, XP Pro) on that machine. The only problem I've had with Eudora 4.2 is with Win XP.

Why would you want to do this? I only have one installation of Becky! on my machine and whenever I try and start multiple copies it reverts to the original open one, unlike outlook, which is a good thing IMO to save data integrity.

In Reply To:
I've been on the Net since '94 and I've used every e-mail program imagineable. Trying this one out and trying that oneout. The only other E-mail program I've like is a program called Calypso but I'll definitley check that Becky Mail out.

The main reason I switched from Eudora to Becky! was better IMAP support and a few nifty "power users" features to handle mailing lists and such that were missing from Eudora. The only other one I've liked is the Forte Agent mail client. But I've been using Becky! for over a year~ish now and have no complaints whatsoever.

Hope this helps.

- wil
Quote Reply
Re: [Wil] Becky! Mail vs Eudora.....is Becky! better? In reply to
Thanks Wil !

Hay Wil if you know anybody that knows javascript could you have them take a look at my javascript question please.
I'd really appreciate it !

Thanks.
"Helping others is life's best reward !"

With Regards,
Chris Perron
E-Mail: host@computercommandos.com
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] Becky! Mail vs Eudora.....is Becky! better? In reply to
I found that Mozilla mail supports SSL.

How does it do it? Since Mozilla is an open source thing, perhaps Becky could support SSL the same way. Becky looks like a great program, but it needs to get a secure method in play.
Quote Reply
Becky!'s not an open source project.

- wil