Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Internet Technologies :

Aligning a <td> contents to "middle", but with a <form in ...

Quote Reply
Aligning a <td> contents to "middle", but with a <form in ...
Hi,

Got a bit of an annoying problem :/

(this is just an example, in its simplest form Smile - the border="1" is just there to show the outline of the td, so you can see what I mean)
Code:
<table border="1" height="50">
<tr>
<td align="center" width="65%" valign="middle">
<form>
<font class="top1">Web</font> <font class="top2">Search</font>
<input name="query" size="29" class="main">
<input type="image" alt="Submit" src="/news/images/submit.gif" align="absMiddle" border="0">
</form>
</td>
</tr>
</table>

...won't align the <td> contents to the middle of the cell.

..but this does (without the <form> bits)

Code:
<tr>
<td align="center" width="65%" valign="middle">
<input type="image" alt="Submit" src="/news/images/submit.gif" align="absMiddle" border="0">
</td>
</tr>
</table>

Anyone got any ideas why? Really getting on my nerves :(

TIA

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Aligning a <td> contents to "middle", but with a <form in ... In reply to
Hey Andy,

I prefer to use CSS whenever I can so here is an example of one.

change the login_form to what you need it to say.

.login_form input {vertical-align:middle;border:1px solid #CDCDCD;border-top:1px solid #888;border-left:1px solid #888;width:90px;margin-right:10px;}

Sandra Roussel
Chonsa Group Design - Fresh Start Housing
Quote Reply
Re: [SandraR] Aligning a <td> contents to "middle", but with a <form in ... In reply to
Hi,

Thanks for the reply - doesn't seem to do what I want :/

Code:
<style>
.login_form input {vertical-align:middle;border:1px solid #CDCDCD;border-top:1px solid #888;border-left:1px solid #888;width:90px;margin-right:10px;}
</style>

<tr>
<td align="center" width="65%" valign="middle" class="login_form">
<form>
<input type="image" alt="Submit" src="http://www.potvine.com/news/images/submit.gif" align="absMiddle" border="0">
</form>
</td>
</tr>
</table>

(see attached image for what I see) - or am I implementing it wrong? I'd defiantly prefer going down the CSS route :)

TIA for the reply.

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Aligning a <td> contents to "middle", but with a <form in ... In reply to
this might be easier

Code:

<style>
.greenBorder {border: 1px solid green;} /* just borders to see it */
</style>

<div class="greenBorder" style="display: table; height: 400px; #position: relative; overflow: hidden;">
<div style=" #position: absolute; #top: 50%;display: table-cell; vertical-align: middle;">
<form>
<input type="image" alt="Submit" src="http://www.potvine.com/news/images/submit.gif" align="absMiddle" border="0">
</form>
</div>
</div>

Sandra Roussel

Last edited by:

SandraR: Feb 17, 2008, 10:42 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [SandraR] Aligning a <td> contents to "middle", but with a <form in ... In reply to
Andy

I used the easier method because its standard in ALL browsers and you can change the settings for middle alignment using the #top: 50%; in conjunction with the height: 400px; .
Quote Reply
Hi,

Thanks - still doesn't quite work :/

Code:
<style>
.greenBorder {border: 1px solid green;} /* just borders to see it */
</style>
<div class="greenBorder" style="display: table; height: 65px; #position: relative; overflow: hidden;">
<div style="#position: absolute; #top: 50%; display: table-cell; vertical-align: middle;">
<form>
</form>
</div>
</div>

I had to edit the height to 65px, as thats the height of the td where the search box is going in :)

Its just not showing in the "middle" of the td Frown

TIA for your help on this - its nice to have people help me out (normally me helping others <G>)

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Hey Andy,

You have the ability to determine what the middle is by changing #top: 50%;

when I change it to: #top: 25%;

it looks in the middle - I prefer control over settings so I added the option to determine where the middle is by using the above attribute.

As for helping not a problem you help so many daily, it’s your turn to rake in some help :D

Sandra Roussel