Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Internet Technologies :

Affiliate Sales Data - upload spreadsheets - membership control

Quote Reply
Affiliate Sales Data - upload spreadsheets - membership control
 Hi All

I'm looking for a way to allow sales affiliates to upload spreadsheets of sales and customer data.

I want to make it easy to consolidate all affiliate sales data so that orders can be processed as smoothly as possible.

Might you know of any script(s) that can:

1. convert .xls files (and others) into tab-delimited files (cuz I really don't want .xls files uploaded)

2. perhaps provide validation of data (like check for unauthorized characters, word filter, and other such things

3. have some kind of membership control, like password-protected access

The idea is that we would be providing a fulfillment service and have lots of affiliates gathering their own sales data, converting it into a flatfile.

Yes, I know that the affiliates could simply email a spreadsheet, but email gets to be a bit cumbersome and time-consuming. Instead, it would be great to have a sort of affiliate control center and snag it all in one shot.

Thanks berry much Smile

------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: [DogTags] Affiliate Sales Data - upload spreadsheets - membership control In reply to
why don't you want xls files uploaded?

Could you talk them into uploading the file as text?

If they'd upload the files as text then Perl would be mighty handing for managing those files, error checking, etc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Watts] Affiliate Sales Data - upload spreadsheets - membership control In reply to
In Reply To:
why don't you want xls files uploaded?

I'm afraid of an embedded stuff. Am I being a dummy? I have read that .xls can contain hidden executables or something. They won't execute on the lin box, but I'm worried that if they are not converted to text files that they could cause a prob when downloaded onto the local win machines.

I figured that the best compromise between server security and client convenience was to allow only simple text files.

Am I completely off target ?

Thanks Smile

------------------------------------------