Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Databases and SQL :

good reference for cross-platform sql

Quote Reply
good reference for cross-platform sql
Can anyone point me in the direction of a good reference for cross-platform-compatible sql syntax? Up until now I've done all of my development in MySQL but I've started work on a project that will need to be compatible with a range of database platforms and I need to break myself of the habit of relying on MySQL-specific features. Problem is, I'm not always even sure what those are, since they've always worked for me...

Thanks very much for any suggestions.

Fractured Atlas :: Liberate the Artist
Services: Healthcare, Fiscal Sponsorship, Marketing, Education, The Emerging Artists Fund
Quote Reply
Re: [hennagaijin] good reference for cross-platform sql In reply to
Search google for SQL-99.
========================================
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me
Quote Reply
Re: [Stealth] good reference for cross-platform sql In reply to
Thanks, but from what I can tell it seems like most database platforms only offer partial support for the SQL-99 standards. Should I maybe be looking at an earlier set of standards, like SQL-92? Or would that cause more problems than it would solve? I guess what I'm really looking for is how to acheive as much functionality as possible without sacrificing 100% compatibility.

Fractured Atlas :: Liberate the Artist
Services: Healthcare, Fiscal Sponsorship, Marketing, Education, The Emerging Artists Fund
Quote Reply
Re: [hennagaijin] good reference for cross-platform sql In reply to
You are correct, most RDBMS only partially support SQL-99, but if you stick with SQL-99, keeping your queries portable, then you should be fine.

Goodbye.
========================================
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me