Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Databases and SQL :

Database Schema

Quote Reply
Database Schema
If someone asked you to come up with a proposed database schema for an application, how would you go about it and how would you present it? Would you print one out in a Word document? How would you show relationships between tables?

- wil
Quote Reply
Re: [Wil] Database Schema In reply to
I would first collect functional requirements and identify database objects and attributes, then I would use database modelling tools, including ErWin, ERStudio, or even Accesss, using the Relationships function to create the schema. But ErWIn and ERStudio are better since they work with many RDBMS, including Oracle, Postgres, Sybase, SQL Server, DB2, etc. So, after creating the schema with either of the "ER" tools, you can automatically create a script or even connect to the database and create the database, including all its structures, including triggers, indexes, referential integrity, etc.

Don't use Word, it's a waste of time and inefficient.

Also, RDBMS clients, including SQL Server Enterprise Manager and Toad (for Oracle) have modeling tools built in that you can create relationships and print them for presentations.
========================================
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me
Quote Reply
Re: [Stealth] Database Schema In reply to
Hi, thanks for the advice! Great stuff.

Can ErWin and ERStudio create a printout for presntational purposes?

- wil
Quote Reply
Re: [Wil] Database Schema In reply to
Yes, both of the ER tools, you can save the schema in multiple formats, including BITMAP and JPEG that you can insert into other presentation documents, like PowerPoint, Word, etc.

OR you can make a complete print-out of the schema right from the ER tool applications.

Also, both ER tools allow you to create a web presentation automatically, it creates a report in HTML that you can click on links from table to table to show detailed properties, including attributes, data types, referential integrity (PKs and FKs), etc.
========================================
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me

Last edited by:

Stealth: Apr 26, 2003, 9:11 PM