Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Databases and SQL :

mySQL - MANY CONNECTIONS

Quote Reply
mySQL - MANY CONNECTIONS
Hi. I have to work on a web based service which should receive approx 3000 contemporary connections. Can I use mySQL?

I guess so, but what are your suggestions. Is there any particular setup I should consider?

I would use a redhat box with mysql and perl DBI for connections, assuming my kernel will alllow such traffic, what can I do to be sure the server will handle incoming request?

Any suggestion and/or experience is welcome.

Thanks.

Roby
Quote Reply
Re: [robyone] mySQL - MANY CONNECTIONS In reply to
By default mysql handles 100 concurrent connections. You can change this by altering the max connections setting.

The amount you can increase it by depends mainly on your hardware.
Quote Reply
Re: [robyone] mySQL - MANY CONNECTIONS In reply to
"3000 contemporary connections"? Are you sure you don't mean concurent connections?

Are you sure you are really going to need 3,000 concurrent conections? If this is a high volume site, you'll really want to separate out your web server from your application server, and under such a scenerio, 3,000 online users does not even come close to 3,000 concurrent database connections.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] mySQL - MANY CONNECTIONS In reply to
yes concurrent. It's what I meant :)

I had the idea to use 2 different servers. 1 for mysql and 1 for the webserver, apache.

Do you have a similar experience? 3K users is the maximum More connections will be refused for bandwidth reasons.

I was considering dual intel processors boxes with 3GB RAM. What do you think? Can you suggest me a powerful hw configuration. Also I guess that 10Mb bandwidth will be more than sufficient to handle this service. I will not use images. basically I'm going to move text only. 15Kb Hit ave.

Will mySQL do the job? Is it a good and stable db?

Thanks.