Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Databases and SQL :

Help! MySQL problem

Quote Reply
Help! MySQL problem
I just freshly installed the newest version of MySQL, Apache2, and PHP. So far everything works except for MySQL. I don't understand what the problem is. Basically, I've configured MySQL to have a root user on localhost with a specified pword. But! When I try to write an php script to connect to the database, I'm getting this as my mysql_error():

"Client does not support authentication protocol requested by server; consider upgrading MySQL client"

If this is the newest version I saw (4.1), does anyone know my problem?
Quote Reply
Re: [JoFrRi] Help! MySQL problem In reply to
The error message is telling you the problem and the solution.

MySQL 4.1 and up uses an authentication protocol based on a password hashing algorithm that is incompatible with that used by older clients. You need to upgrade your client to match the server.
Quote Reply
Re: [paulj] Help! MySQL problem In reply to
That's weird considering they were downloaded together as a package.
Quote Reply
Is it PHP generating these errors? If so, then you need to re-compile PHP against the new client libraries?
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
I just freshly installed the newest version of MySQL, Apache2, and PHP. So far everything works except for MySQL. I don't understand what the problem is. Basically, I've configured MySQL to have a root user on localhost with a specified pword. But! When I try to write an php script to connect to the database, I'm getting this as my mysql_error():

"Client does not support authentication protocol requested by server; consider upgrading MySQL client"

If this is the newest version I saw (4.1), does anyone know my problem?

I have the same problem. How did you solve it?

I added a user with no password and still received the error...
Quote Reply
Re: [john77] Help! MySQL problem In reply to
I solved the problem by getting an older version of MySQL. I since haven't figured that one out.
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
I solved the problem by getting an older version of MySQL. I since haven't figured that one out.

Just so you know, all you had to do is run the following for the user that php was using...

Code:
set password for 'user'@'localhost' = old_password('somepassword');