Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Databases and SQL :

Bandwidth requirements for connection vs. query

Quote Reply
Bandwidth requirements for connection vs. query
Can anyone tell me the relative bandwidth requirements for connecting to a MySQL database vs. running a query on one when you're already connected? This assumes the db is on a separate server, of course. Is it a lot more bandwidth-intensive to connect than it is to stay connected and run queries?

Fractured Atlas :: Liberate the Artist
Services: Healthcare, Fiscal Sponsorship, Marketing, Education, The Emerging Artists Fund
Quote Reply
Re: [hennagaijin] Bandwidth requirements for connection vs. query In reply to
Bandwidth isn't really an issue. It's more connection speed. Connecting to a remote mysql server is slower than a local one. Creating a connection will be slower then running a query when you are already connected.

Last edited by:

Paul: May 8, 2003, 12:01 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] Bandwidth requirements for connection vs. query In reply to
Thanks for the reply. Do you know if there's any rough way to quantify the difference in speed and/or server load, etc.? Maybe a benchmarking study somewhere? I've found a million-and-one studies that compare the speeds of different database platforms under high loads, but nothing that specifically addresses this issue. I guess it's tough since it's probably largely dependent on the specific hardware used.

Fractured Atlas :: Liberate the Artist
Services: Healthcare, Fiscal Sponsorship, Marketing, Education, The Emerging Artists Fund
Quote Reply
Re: [hennagaijin] Bandwidth requirements for connection vs. query In reply to
The connect/disconnect will have very little impact on bandwidth compared to transferring the actual data via insert/updates and the results of selects.

Performance will be better if you maintain persistent connections though, and you should aim for this if possible.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.