Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Chit Chat :

slashdot.org : With XML, is the Time Right for Hierarchical DBs?

Quote Reply
slashdot.org : With XML, is the Time Right for Hierarchical DBs?
Interesting article for those involved in database work.

http://slashdot.org/.../11/15/1943223.shtml

- wil
Quote Reply
Re: [Wil] slashdot.org : With XML, is the Time Right for Hierarchical DBs? In reply to
I still prefer the Relational model in database design...more flexible and intuitive than the hierarchal model, IMO.

Also, relational databases are much easier to work with in more web applications and languages...XML is the only one I know of that comes close to supporting hierarchial schemas, which take more thought and planning than relational schemas.

========================================
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me

Last edited by:

Heckler: Nov 19, 2001, 7:04 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [Heckler] slashdot.org : With XML, is the Time Right for Hierarchical DBs? In reply to
Yes, it seems that relational databases have come a long way over the last few years, and hierarchal models will take some time to convince users that it's worth switching.

Does anyone know any performance differences with using a relational over a hierachal model?

- wil
Quote Reply
Re: [Wil] slashdot.org : With XML, is the Time Right for Hierarchical DBs? In reply to
My understanding is that there are no or limited joining of tables in hierarchial systems, which is a drawback in terms of data processing in Relational systems where you end up joining two tables minimal to connect primary and foreign keys, and even more if you have superkeys.

The major drawback of hierarchial systems, IMO, is setting and maintaining referential integrity, which is very easy to do in relational systems.
========================================
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me

Last edited by:

Heckler: Nov 19, 2001, 7:23 AM