Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Chit Chat :

arrg.. venting: part 2

Quote Reply
arrg.. venting: part 2
okay... feeling like Mandrake 8.2 was only as stable as Windows 95, I wiped out my whole linux drive and installed Red Hat 7.2. Hm... all goes well during the installation except I still cannot get any video card/monitor combination/screen resolution combination to work. "Kuzdu" seems to pick correct video card. But when I go to "Xconfiguration" to set up the monitor, no freaking frequency, color mode, or resolution works. I always get an error message telling me the Xconfiguration has an error in it but it doesn't tell what the error is. (talk about design flaw!!) On one of my video cards, Xconfiguration "probes" the monitor for a default color mode/res, but using any setting results in the a black screen except for color streaks at the top and my keyboard locking up. To get back into text mode to make changes, I must swap my video cards, boot, run kuzdu, shutdown, and switch cards again. Arrg.. Then finally I get a graphic mode to work... 320x204x8 mode.

Is there some other app or some extra drivers for Red Hat that's capable for finding the correct configuration without so much hassle?

--Philip
Links 2.0 moderator
Quote Reply
Re: [sponge] arrg.. venting: part 2 In reply to
Damn windows users! Smile That's what I don't like about Mandrake and Redhat, everything's so dummied down, it's practically windows. You don't learn anything, and you end up with a ton of problems if you're unlucky. Why don't you just use xf86config as well as editing your XF86Config manually (you don't know where it is do you Tongue)? I've never used those other configuration tools, but I've never had a problem I couldn't fix. As long as you know your hardware (mouse type, monitor specs, video card make/model) you'll be fine.

Adrian
Quote Reply
Re: [brewt] arrg.. venting: part 2 In reply to
Besides, RedHat 7.3 came out yesterday! :-)

- wil
Quote Reply
Re: [brewt] arrg.. venting: part 2 In reply to
you're so harsh!

You call Redhat and Mandrake dummied down? I haven't managed to get a single freaking installation to really work due to the flakey hardware support in Linux...

Lurking around google groups I discoverd that Xfree <4.2 does not support newer ATI Rage and Radeon cards so I decided to upgrade xfree. Turns out I got the wrong glibc version and the install script wouldn't run so I have to download them all again.

Yes, I know what hardware I have but doesn't do me any good since I don't know how to write those damn config files.

Wil.... I was quite pissed to see 7.3 show up seeing how I just wasted 4 days downloading 7.2 and trying to install it.

--Philip
Links 2.0 moderator
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
Wil.... I was quite pissed to see 7.3 show up seeing how I just wasted 4 days downloading 7.2 and trying to install it.

LOL! You should check their release map. It states on there when the next release will be out.

Besides, why you using Redhat - got for Debian :-)

- wil
Quote Reply
Re: [Wil] arrg.. venting: part 2 In reply to
FREEBSD with x11 or if you're really adventureous ... get Darwin slap on x11
I'm pretty sure fink will with Darwin ... then you can get all the packages when ever you need them... nothing like automated *nix.

LOL .... one reason why windows is so flakey, it has to support a labrythn of hardware.

openoffice + gimp + sketch ... Smile
Quote Reply
Re: [QooQ] arrg.. venting: part 2 In reply to
Brewt... I tried using xf86config to make a config file and all seemed strait forward. I then ran "startx" and the damn thing still won't work. It says "no screen found" and "error 104 (connection closed by peer)" amongst over crap (a whole slew of ATI card models printed on the screen).

Don't make me give up on Linux Smile nothing beats free software unless you can't make it work.

Just fired up wget and hopefully the Debian iso's will be downloaded when I wake up.

--Philip
Links 2.0 moderator
Quote Reply
hehe I like curl -o better.

wget is so passe Angelic

openoffice + gimp + sketch ... Smile
Quote Reply
Heh heh... It took me several hours to figure out how to "mount" the floppy drive (!).

When asked about Red Hat, I've always said that it is "as if the Russians had invented windows".

I finally got "Red Hat Linux for Dummies" and it came with version 6.2 (current at the time) which was a much smoother installation than whatever release of 5x I was using.

My favorite error message was something like:

"Some process/thread was running but seems to have been mysteriously murdered."

At least the guys have a sense of humor.