Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Chit Chat :

Windows .NET Server 2003

Quote Reply
Windows .NET Server 2003
I just got accepted as a beta tester for the .NET server. I got access to a private beta download and was given a product key.

I'm just downloading the 560MB enterprise edition. Woo!

Cool
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] Windows .NET Server 2003 In reply to
Didn't they drop the .NET name? I thought it was just Windows 2003 Server? Anyways, let us know what you think. =)

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] Windows .NET Server 2003 In reply to
Seems .NET is still there. Shame they made a booboo with the <BR> tag in the downloader though Wink
Quote Reply
Yes, they've dropped the .NET. It will be called Microsoft Server 2003, althought it won't likely be shipping until 2004. :-)

- wil
Quote Reply
Frown

It extracts all files then starts the install but I then get this after it reboots my pc :(

"could not read from the selected boot disk"

My partitions are as follows:

Disk 1:

C:\ - Win98, Primary Partition
D:\ - Just files, no OS
E:\ - WindowsXP

Disk 2:

F:\ - Just files, no OS
H:\ - Trying to install .NET here - maybe the error is because it needs to be on disk 1?

G:\ - CD-ROM
A:\ - Floppy

Last edited by:

Paul: Jan 21, 2003, 2:34 PM
Quote Reply
Alter your BIOS to boot from that disk?

- wil
Quote Reply
Re: [Wil] Windows .NET Server 2003 In reply to
Ack, when did they drop the .NET name? I saw a commercial for it just a few days ago. Anyway, that reminds me that I should find my login information so I can upgrade to RC2. My copy of RC1 is at least four months old. Only a few hiccups though.... I was surely impressed. Sly

Philip
------------------
Limecat is not pleased.
Quote Reply
Re: [fuzzy thoughts] Windows .NET Server 2003 In reply to
I got it installed yesterday...I had to install on drive one so unfortunately Windows98 got nuked....and now I'm regretting it. .NET server won't detect my ethernet adapter and it just seems a bit crap really. I much prefer XP (yes I know the intended usage is different) but still.
Quote Reply
Re: [fuzzy thoughts] Windows .NET Server 2003 In reply to
I flagged the story on The Register a little while ago.

http://212.100.234.54/content/4/28802.html

- wil

Last edited by:

Wil: Jan 22, 2003, 10:11 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [Wil] Windows .NET Server 2003 In reply to
lindows Wink windows Wink naming rights Wink ahem .... nothing mentioned Wink

.net .... hmmm get either webobjects or even better a similar and prossibly just as good system zope! which is free.

I don't like either apple or m$ specifically but I do prefer the company that is safer in security and doesn't incorporate bugs on purpose.

openoffice + gimp + sketch ... Smile
Quote Reply
Dear Paul, The <BR> is still there as I down loaded the iso file.

I think the real goof is the speed of download.

Average speeds visually seen on the same computer, same conection, not an official true speed.

Adsl -- Windows = 120 to 170 KB/sec

Adsl -- Linux = 500 to 700 KB/sec

ps what do you think of Server 2003 ?

Thanks

cornball
Quote Reply
Seems MS has some issues with the new windowsBETA site! :(

I am currently downloading Server 2003 RC2 for trialing however despite trying everything imaginable I can't get a product key. After submitting the Machine Identifier and choosing the product I get 'page timeout' or 'page cannot be displayed' errors... despite the fact the previous page reads:

ID ***_******* may request:

1 more .NET Server RC product keys

Has anyone else had this problem? I really don't want to download a GB of disk images that are going to be completely useless! :)
Quote Reply
Re: [BikeBoy] Windows .NET Server 2003 In reply to
Eek... that sucks. The only odd things I noticed when I downloaded it months ago was the <BR> tag in the download console.

I haven't tried RC2 yet, but I used RC1 for about 6 months. Up until last week I was very impressed. I decided to update my video card driver and acompanying software, but Windows didn't like it too much. It started crashing constantly, and a driver rollback wouldn't fix the problem, and elected not to run a repair install. Instead, I switched to my virgin "just in case" installation on another partition to make backups of my files, then wiped out the whole system and reinstalled XP Pro.

Philip
------------------
Limecat is not pleased.
Quote Reply
Yep...and it's finally going to be released....

http://story.news.yahoo.com/...20030424/tc_nf/21333

Although in terms of market saturation, it'll be awhile before a majority of Windows shops upgrade to it.
========================================
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me