Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Chit Chat :

Whats worse than a spammer?

(Page 1 of 2)
> >
Quote Reply
Whats worse than a spammer?
A spammer who thinks they are not a spammer.

I am getting nailed by this idiot at the moment:

Quote:

Take part in our quarterly FREE WEBSITE draw! Promotion value: $US 5.000.00...do not miss that chance!
The draw: September 30th
--
Will Baranski, CEO, Creative Director
tel 905.212.9654
fax 905.212.1095
http://www.2Bornot2B.ca
http://www.meta4z.com ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This email is sent in compliance with strict anti-abuse and NO SPAM
regulations. Under Bill s. 1618 TITLE III passed by the 105th Congress
this letter cannot be considered spam as long as the sender includes
removal instructions.
We comply with proposed federal legislation regarding unsolicited
commercial e-mail by providing you with a method for your e-mail
address to be permanently removed from our database and any future
mailings from us.
Your address may have been collected as either a result of posting a
classified ad, a link to one or more of our link pages or to
http://www.meta4z.com you are on a list that we have purchased, or we
have corresponded in the past.
TO REMOVE YOUR ADDRESS, please send an email message with the word
"REMOVE" in the subject line to:
info@2Bornot2B.ca. The word "REMOVE"
must be in the subject line for your request to be processed.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I don't live in the United States, so I don't know what Bill s.1618 title 3 is. In my country, this is still spam :)

Last edited by:

Ian: Aug 30, 2002, 7:29 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [Ian] Whats worse than a spammer? In reply to
spam him back!

change the wording and double his prize. Wink

openoffice + gimp + sketch ... Smile
Quote Reply
Re: [QooQ] Whats worse than a spammer? In reply to
LOL, that would be funny.

Will Baranski, CEO, Creative Spammer
Quote Reply
Spam is defined as "Unsolicited Bulk Email". So regardless of what law or statute he complies with, it is still spam. Find out who hosts his domain and complain to them. If he's hosting his own domain then complain to whomever owns the nameservers.

Better yet, get his phone number from the whois lookup and call him and tell him he sucks!
Quote Reply
Re: [Watts] Whats worse than a spammer? In reply to
Quote:
Better yet, get his phone number from the whois lookup and call him and tell him he sucks!
He gives out his phone number in his spam. He may just get more spam than he gives!Wink Not a smart spammer.

http://www.iuni.com/...tware/web/index.html
Links Plugins
Quote Reply
Re: [Watts] Whats worse than a spammer? In reply to
call him collect Wink

Quote Reply
I am going to write his phone number on a few bathroom walls downtown.
Quote Reply
Put it right next to your own Wink
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] Whats worse than a spammer? In reply to
Good idea.
Quote Reply
Have you tried SpamCop? (http://www.spamcop.net)

When you signup for to use their service, you are issued with a unique email address to forward all spam to their parsing system. This will then automatically report the spaming website / IP to the relevant IP maintainers.

I've being a member for a while but only recently started using this service - very satisfying it is to!

~ ERASER

Free JavaScripts @ Insight Eye
Quote Reply
charge toll calls to that person ... 1-900-555-duck ... and such Wink

Quote Reply
Colin: Yes I am still considering spam cop, but have not got there yet.

QooQ: I like the entrepreneur spirit. Cash in Smile
Quote Reply
ugh, but that's a part of me that some people find boring ... Blush

Quote Reply
A spammer that is selling anti-spam stuff!

Title: Stop Spam with Email Inspector

Body:

If you received this letter it is because your eMail address is being sold with tens of millions of other eMail addresses for the purpose of spamming. We are using the spammer's tools against them to help you win the war on spam. Make this THE SPAM THAT ENDS ALL SPAM ™.

IMPORTANT NOTE:

eMail Inspector DOES NOT WORK WITH WEB-BASED EMAIL ACCOUNTS SUCH AS AOL, MSN, HOTMAIL OR YAHOO.

Last edited by:

Teambldr: Aug 31, 2002, 9:13 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [Teambldr] Whats worse than a spammer? In reply to
Yeah, thats worse than a spammer for sure. You have got to laugh!

http://www.iuni.com/...tware/web/index.html
Links Plugins
Quote Reply
The thing that makes it even more funny is the fact that they sent it to me from an AOL account.

LMAOCool
Quote Reply
Thats the kind of thing I really don't find funny. One one hand I guess you can laugh but it is also extremely annoying that some low-life has the nerve to spam you and claim it isn't spam...that type of thing really annoys me and encourages me to make a really rude reply (which then bounces..AGHHHH)
Quote Reply
Oh no Paul, it is better than that! He says that IT IS SPAM! LOL
Quote Reply
Oh yeah sorry I mis-read it...oh well either way I'd still tell him I was going to rip out his liver.

Last edited by:

Paul: Aug 31, 2002, 9:48 AM
Quote Reply
What if more and more people set up mail boxes specifically to receive spam, and they had auto responders or bounced the return messages as well. I mean, won't their servers be eventually so overloaded with handling bounced messages there scams can't work?

The power of many over the power of one. I don't know how it all works, but there must be a way. I am sure of there was a $10 million dollar prize for solving it, someone would come up with some pretty darn good ideas.

Surely if all the major network companies, had a zero tolerance spam policy, spam would dissapear very quickly.
Quote Reply
Almost everyone that I get bounces back. I have mine set up to send them a Bad Address email. Almost everyone gets returned as a Bad Return.

So I do not know if it would work.Crazy
Quote Reply
simple returns or do you send back to return paths?

my new mail.app is a learning app. I tries to predict what's junk or not. Probably after a month I'll get trained enough to trust it. Plus I can see the headers pretty easily.

hmmm, 10 meg blank files might be fun ... zip up part of something and send it back Laugh

I'm ready to activate my mail server if need be Wink I'll jimmy around a few different locations in town and let my machine run for a bit ... hmmm, maybe I'll get that aircard after all. Find an open system piggy back off that and have some fun.

Quote Reply
OH, don't get me wrong. I would love to slam emails back at them at ten times what they do.Blush

I just have a different approach. I go for their ISP, their Pipeline provider and more. I make calls, write certified letters and more if it is an issue.
Quote Reply
I can't wait to try out the new mail and its spam training feature.

10 meg return files... he he, thats vengance!Smile
Quote Reply
Bad idea to clog your mail server / ISP with 10MB emails (they may kick you off). And it's unlikely in most cases to interfere with the spammer as they usually use free email accounts. What they get is confirmation that your email is valid, and your email can be added to other spammer email lists. Years back, I used to reply to such emails to get removed. Spam in my email box grew exponentially. Finally I had to close that email account, and create a new one a couple years back. Now since I ignore the spammer per se, I only get a few spam emails every day. Very manageable.

As an aside to all, never reply, in any shape or form, to spammers. And never call any telephone numbers they provide in their emails - they can be bogus, pay-by-the-minute numbers that only benefit the spammer (well documented by the BBS). You could be charged 5-10+ dollars a minute - and almost impossible to recover from your telephone provider. And don't give out the number so it can abused (e.g., bathroom walls) as it only further benefits them - you only play into their game, and create more victims. And don't fight spam using illegal tactics (including spamming them) as this is illegal, and usually in violation of your web host and ISP TOC - you could find your account suspended or cancelled, and legal charges brought up against you.

Ignore the SOBs, and file a [Abuse] complaint with their ISP, email provider, telephone provider (if they include any numbers), web host / upstream provider (if they have a website), and any other parties they are affiliated (e.g., website sponsors). And always include a copy of the email with ALL the headers included. And you could also file a complaint with the legal authorities if you can identify the jurisdiction that the spammer originates.

----
Cheers,

Dan
Founder and CEO

LionsGate Creative
GoodPassRobot
Magelln
> >