Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Chit Chat :

What do the Sun and Mars have in common?

Quote Reply
What do the Sun and Mars have in common?
A face. Check out the following SOHO image:

http://sohowww.nascom.nasa.gov/...816_1319_eit_304.gif

Just a solar plasma discharge, but eerie to look at. BTW, don't make anything of it (or the face on Mars for that matter) - no different than the images you can see in clouds.

----
Cheers,

Dan
Founder and CEO

LionsGate Creative
GoodPassRobot
Magelln
Quote Reply
Re: [dan] What do the Sun and Mars have in common? In reply to
Speaking of Mars, anyone seen it in the sky? It's supposed to be very vibrant these days. Unfortunately, it's been cloudy here in Colorado.
========================================
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me
Quote Reply
Re: [Stealth] What do the Sun and Mars have in common? In reply to
I've been watching Mars for some weeks now. Mars is the closest its been in 60,000 years. With the naked eye it is bright, with a slight reddish hue.

From Vancouver Space Centre:

Opposition occurs when a planet is “opposite” to the sun as viewed from Earth. During Opposition, Mars will rise in the South-East while the Sun sets in the North-West. On August 27 2003, Mars and Earth are at their closest, only 55, 758, 006 kilometres apart, almost 30% closer than an average opposition! At this distance, Mars appears very bright (-2.9 magnitude) with a conspicuous orange colour and can be viewed well from almost anywhere. For the best views find a dark, open location with a good view to the east and south – Mars will be at it’s highest above the southern horizon roughly 25 degrees from Vancouver. Small telescopes offer a great view but to see any surface features you need access to a substantial telescope (which we will have at the events). Surface features of the Red Planet like mountains, polar ice caps, clouds or dust storms may be seen with proper guidance of an experienced night sky observer.

----
Cheers,

Dan
Founder and CEO

LionsGate Creative
GoodPassRobot
Magelln
Quote Reply
I got a program for my PDA called pocket stars that shows the night sky for your location/time. I can take the PDA outside and hold it up and find the stars, planets and constellations. You can also click on a star and get its information. Pretty cool.
--
Rob

SW Montana's Online Community
Modular Model Railroading
Quote Reply
Re: [BeaverheadRiver] What do the Sun and Mars have in common? In reply to
Cool, I'll have to look into that. Thanks for the heads up =) As an aside, several weeks back I spotted this very bright circular (white) light in the SSW night sky (12:50am PST, 60 degree azimuth). Like a gigantic spotlight in the sky, shining straight down to Earth. Had a duration of about 5 seconds or so, and then disappeared as quickly as it formed. Then a week and a half later, same thing. Did some research, and it turned out that it was what is called a Iridium Flare (solar relection off of one of the Motorola Iridium telecommunication satellites). Both were mag -8 (as reference, full moon is around mag -12.0 to -12.5) - more negative the number, brighter the object. Very, very cool! What are the odds are that I'd look at the night sky at the precise time, and at the right area? And to see the brightest flares, twice by pure stroke of luck. It's like I won the celestial lottery. Turns out that you can predict when and where they occur for your location (see http://www.heavens-above.com/). Not surprising given that satellites travel in precise orbits. Now on the occaison I schedule times to go out to see the flares (but only the mag -7 and -8's). Also, there are daytime flares as well - although the nightime ones are, for the obvious reasons, more spectular. I know you have all seen satellites crossing the nightsky, but a mag -6 to -8 Iridium Flare kicks you know what!

----
Cheers,

Dan
Founder and CEO

LionsGate Creative
GoodPassRobot
Magelln
Quote Reply
Dan,

Couldn't PM you, so the progam is Pocket Stars by nomadelectronics.com

It can be purchased at Handango.com and they have a couple of other similar programs also.
--
Rob

SW Montana's Online Community
Modular Model Railroading
Quote Reply
Re: [BeaverheadRiver] What do the Sun and Mars have in common? In reply to
Thanks for the link, Rob.

It's unfortunate that the app only works with PocketPC systems. It'd be cool if they had a Palm V version...I know...Palm V, a bit "archaic", but I am a loyal Palm user and Palm V does most everything for me, although I have to admit that in terms of GPS apps, they are clunky on the Palm.
========================================
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me