Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Chit Chat :

What Server?

Quote Reply
What Server?
Just wondering what kinda specs the GT sites server runs on? It just seems to go really fast, even at prime times. I'm looking into a dedicated server at the moment for a venture I am doing with a mate of mine. What would be classed as a reasonable server, whilst still a price?

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [AndyNewby] What Server? In reply to
What do you mean...in terms of hardware? or..?

If you want something quick you'd need Linux/Mod_perl/Apache at least 256MB RAM but more if possible, 500+mhz processor (ideally), a decent amount of L2 cache, a decent size HD and RAID, SCSI disks....not that I know what I'm talking about or anything :)

Last edited by:

RedRum: Nov 8, 2001, 11:13 AM
Quote Reply
http://www.gossamerhost.com

lists some of their dedicated server specs.

Not sure if they're running the same for their public servers, though.

- wil
Quote Reply
Re: [RedRum] What Server? In reply to
Lol...for someone who doesnt know what he is talking about, you seem to know quite a lot Tongue

Thanks

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Oo not forgetting the all important ethernet adapter :)

...but I'm guessing all this may not be relevant if you are hiring a dedicated server.

They will be pre-configured. You just need to pick one with a decent processor/ram and thats cheap too :)

Bear in mind that co-location is cheaper on a monthly basis if you can afford to buy the server

Last edited by:

RedRum: Nov 8, 2001, 11:17 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [Wil] What Server? In reply to
Cool. I didnt realise they had their own hosting company Tongue Their support page always said they never ran any other sites than GT Wink

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Yep. It comes bundled with the Links or WebMail package, I think ??

Paul, you forgot the most important thing (imo): backups !!!!

- wil
Quote Reply
If you're planning on colocating - shop around! We have a mail server hosted and pay ab $250 a month for 1/4 rack space. Do not hesitate to "grill" whatever company you're thinking of going with and insist on touring their facilities too. And find out what exactly they consider a "rack". (Some places call an upturned cardboard box part of their rack.)

Ask them about bandwidth, but also ask them about any kind of monitoring (our guys will only call us if the server is on fire and melting - and that only if someone happens to notice) they'll do for you and how many visits you're allowed to have to your server (really!).

You can generally get a better deal with smaller companies, but then again they don't have all of the security/redundancy, etc. that larger ones have.

Get at least 5 quotes before making any kind of decision because they will differ wildly.

Good Luck.

Ps: FWIW, I've uploaded some pricing I researched last year. The prices are US$ and related to Austin, Texas so you may not have the same results.

Last edited by:

Watts: Nov 8, 2001, 1:17 PM
Quote Reply
Hi,

Gossamer is powered by Apache (we have 3 copies running), mod_perl, MySQL 3.23, on a amd 1.2 with 512 megs of ram. It never gets to bogged down and is probably a bit overkill.

We do offer dedicated servers and will be announcing an all new price plans very soon. Drop me an email if this is something you are considering (servers come with mod_perl installed and supported, something you won't find elsewhere, and something that can give your perl apps up to a 10x performance increase).

As for running other sites, we put that up as you wouldn't believe the amount of email we get from people seeing Powered By Gossamer on a site, and think we maintain it (half the time we've never even heard of it).

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] What Server? In reply to
In Reply To:
As for running other sites, we put that up as you wouldn't believe the amount of email we get from people seeing Powered By Gossamer on a site, and think we maintain it (half the time we've never even heard of it).

LOL! That icon has proved to work well in driving back traffic back to GT though hasn't it? That icon has been around for years! It's probably the most recognised after those 'Download IE' and 'Get Netscape' icons :-)

- wil
Quote Reply
=), We got some new ones now:

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/scripts/powered/

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] What Server? In reply to
Whey! Very sexy! Who did those for you?

- wil
Quote Reply
Thanks! Smile My aim wasn't to make sexy buttons, but now that I look at them, they are pretty hot aren't they? j/k!

Thanks for the nice comments!

Quote Reply
Re: [Klulyss] What Server? In reply to
Nice! Laugh

sorry to say this but the links 2.0 one is .... ummm .... why the slanting S and 2 ????

The dbman ones were a little simple at first look but they do tend to grow on you ...

the others are just sweet!

openoffice + gimp + sketch ... Smile
Quote Reply
Re: [Klulyss] What Server? In reply to
No problem. I wish I had an eye for creating good graphics!

Good job! :-) I take it GT take on graphic work for web related material?

- wil
Quote Reply
I'm sure they do! In the past year GT has really been looking sharp! Cool

hmmm ... wonder which frontier Alex is leading GT towards ... definately a greater plan hiding somewhere or ...

openoffice + gimp + sketch ... Smile