Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Chit Chat :

Very Large Black bee nest removal info required

Quote Reply
Very Large Black bee nest removal info required
Hello all, Big nest removal help required.

The nest is just under a basket ball in size. Looks paper gray in color.

The flying critters are very active and are black in color. Hornets ?

How does one go about asking them to relocate ? Or do ya just kill them ? Bug spray ?

Last time I ran into one of these I was stung about 30 times.

I just get a small bump for each sting site, which dissappears in 20 minutes.

I ran into this nest at a customers home about 15 feet off the front door.

Their gardener will not touch it or the weeds near the bush it is attached to.

Any ideas or thoughts on how to talk to black bees ?

Thanks

cornball
Quote Reply
Re: [cornball] Very Large Black bee nest removal info required In reply to
Grab a long stick and go poke at it? See if that works :) Really though, I think there are people who specialize in bee removal. Contact your local pest control companies and see what they say. It might cost a bit but it should be pretty painless, for you at least. If it were me, I would probably use RAID on the nest at night, standing as close as possible to the nearest door. Good luck!

~Charlie
Quote Reply
Re: [Chaz] Very Large Black bee nest removal info required In reply to
Grab a stick and poke it ? Not a WCB kinda idea.

Can I borrow your body while I do this ?

The person who just moved in is a renter and is of the very rich and dangerous category.

The home is in West Vancouver BC Canada on the waterfront and is worth many millions of red smarties.

I was kinda looking for an happy ending for the bees vs a can of raid , or just call rambo bug control.

Can you use smoke on hornets to quiet them like honey bees ??

any happy ideas ??

Thanks cornball
Quote Reply
High pressure hose.
Cheers,
Michael Bray
Quote Reply
Well if it's not attached to a wooden structure, and you have a big ol' fire extinguisher handy, douse it with a glass or so of gasoline. Don't set it on fire or anything stupid like that.

Kills them dead in a heartbeat.

Afterwards be sure and heavily wash the area down with water.

However, there are obviously associated dangers and if you burn yourself or your house down - sue somebody else because I warned you!

Last edited by:

ArmyAirForces: Sep 19, 2003, 9:01 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [ArmyAirForces] Very Large Black bee nest removal info required In reply to
I was gonna say to douse it in petrol and thought I better not in case he burns his place down. I'd just use a high pressure hose to blow the thing to buggery and have the wasp's piss off to someone else' house.
Cheers,
Michael Bray
Quote Reply
Call your local pest-control operator (1-800-terminix) and have them come out and deal with it. It'll cost $50 or so but it will be worth it. I"ve had a lot of luck with (in the U.S.) "Raid wasp & hornet spray" - this stuff shoots out a stream of spray for about 10 feet or so. Kills the wasps on contact. Wait until dusk or just at dark so they are not as active or wait for the weather to get a little cooler then soak the sucker with the spray.
Quote Reply
They actually are going to be carpenter bees, they won't have a hive. Female will excavate a chamber for her eggs in maybe that tree, or maybe a nearby home. It is usually the male bee that makes itself more noticed flying about in an aggressive manner, but he has no stinger. Unless they are doing damage to the home or nesting in an area that could generate a sting, they are considered harmless and extremely beneficial.

[removed advertising link]

Last edited by:

Andy: Aug 17, 2009, 3:40 AM
Quote Reply
I have had a bee swarm removed in the past, I called the Agriculture center, they in turn sent me a list of bee keeper phone numbers to call. I went down the list until I found a beekeeper willing to come out and take the bees at no cost to me. Bee Keeper and Bees left happy.

Here is some info:
http://www.tidewaterbeekeepers.net/bee_removal.html

Sandra Roussel
Chonsa Group Design - Fresh Start Housing
Quote Reply
6 years later i am here to tell you that they indeed must be killed or like they used to say on saturday night live cil,kill.soak with raid at night and set on fire in a safe place preferably a campfire type of dealMad