Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Chit Chat :

The future of the web?

Quote Reply
The future of the web?
I set up my hotmail account with a bogus profile and suddenly started getting msn.com in Spanish (actually it's the Latin American version). I guess that's because I told them my country was El Salvador or something.

Anyway... I noticed that they often have some unusual advertising on the home page, stuff you usually don't see on "English" sites. I can't help but wonder if this is what is in store for the future.

Here's the site http://www.yupimsn.com/

Cute at first, but then it gets annoying.
Quote Reply
Re: [Watts] The future of the web? In reply to
hmm? what's that? Targetting your clients by registration or even IP number?

Google does it to me every so often. I'm in Japan and google reverts to Japanese every once in a while on me.

openoffice + gimp + sketch ... Smile
Quote Reply
Re: [QooQ] The future of the web? In reply to
Hmm I may just move to a red light district...see what kind of ads I get then :)
Quote Reply
Re: [QooQ] The future of the web? In reply to
AltaVista has been doing this for years for all International users. A real pain. It opens up by default to the UK site which is very limited where I would prefer for when I type '.com' for it to actually go to the main international site and not redirected to 'co.uk'. Give the users the power and the choice! Ugh, shrug.

- wil
Quote Reply
Re: [Wil] The future of the web? In reply to
A weird thing happening to me is I get random popup ads on my desktop even if Im _not_ at a website....its like XP has builtin ads or something...so annyoing.

Last edited by:

Paul: May 1, 2002, 1:36 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] The future of the web? In reply to
OMG! No way! :-\

- wil
Quote Reply
you have Kazaa, right? If so you need to remove BDE Projector.

--Philip
Links 2.0 moderator
Quote Reply
Hmmmm, you've got something seriously F'd up there. You running some sort of spyware, file sharing, or some "free" net access stuff?

I'd crank up the security level too. I refuse all 2nd party cookies for starters and have a fairly long list of domains/ip's that I automatically reject cookies from.

Worth tinkering around with.
Quote Reply
Re: [HeavyBombers] The future of the web? In reply to
It was kazaa. I used the links in the other thread I posted to fix it.
Quote Reply
Re: [Wil] The future of the web? In reply to
In Reply To:
AltaVista has been doing this for years for all International users. A real pain. It opens up by default to the UK site which is very limited where I would prefer for when I type '.com' for it to actually go to the main international site.

That's the main reason I've given up using Altavista - Google is now my choice of engine. I sent an email complaint to AV about this 'forced redirection' and after a 3 week wait, they just told me to bookmark the US site and not worry. Such a dictation on where the enduser is going is a real discouragement, not to mention ruining the whole point of major and localized domain versions.

I see many others following his trend - a worry indeed. MSN.com was the worst, you just couldn't get the US site AT ALL as every time you were 'forced' to the co.uk version. Maybe that's changed now, I haven't and wont be back to try it out!

~ ERASER

Free JavaScripts @ Insight Eye
Quote Reply
Re: [Eraser] The future of the web? In reply to
Google does it to, going to google.com for me gets me redirected to google.ca. =)

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.

Last edited by:

Alex: May 1, 2002, 11:41 AM