Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Chit Chat :

Thank - less

Quote Reply
Thank - less
Scenario:

A site owner asks kindly for some advice via email with the onus on it being free. To oblige a "potential" customer, you give the friendly answer, but then he sends NO thanks or otherwise. /mad/

Many of you experience this? After a while it does make you think if such an effort is really worth it and perhaps better to say your too busy or something.

~ ERASER

Free JavaScripts @ Insight Eye
Quote Reply
Re: [Eraser] Thank - less In reply to
I know what you mean, it gets on my nerves too, just plain rude.

I moderate a board out there in the ether and every time I get an email question I always tell them to post it on the board and then I`ll answer.

That way at least everybody else can benefit.

chmod
Quote Reply
I've had quite a few people doing this here...they make a post at the forum, and then PM me with the URL to the thread! Whats the point?

As for people emailing asking for 'free' work etc, I know that feeling too. I used to run ace-installer.com as a free installation service (relying on donations from people i install for, or who like my site). This worked for a little while, but after I brought in the term that they need to link to me if they are not sending any money, it all went downhill.

I had one lady that asked for an install. She sent me $5, and then wanted me to install a $250 piece of software. Ihad no problem with this, but then it turned out she thought I was going to BUY the software for her too! How rude! I sent her an email back asking where her business sense was Tongue I mean..nobody could survive running a site if they go PAYING for free installs! Frown

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy.] Thank - less In reply to
Yep, similar experiences here. What spurred me on to post this is a recent request for a html code check. After spending about 20 minutes looking through the code and pointing out mistakes, I never heard back from this person, not even with a thank you. I really don't mind giving advice on forums.. after all that's the whole point of sharing information, or even helping folks leading to a sale, but to then be almost snubbed by no thanks is plain ungratefully rude and also disheartening.

~ ERASER

Free JavaScripts @ Insight Eye

Last edited by:

Eraser: May 11, 2002, 3:18 AM
Quote Reply
Someone paid me for a Links2 installation yesterday.....after fixing the problem (which took a few minutes) I decided to refund the money as I felt guilty about charging someone for a few minutes work.....the customer said that from the bottom of his heart I was a pleasure to work with...hehe.....

That makes the refund so much more enjoyable :) ...I detest giving money away Cool

Last edited by:

Paul: May 11, 2002, 3:31 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] Thank - less In reply to
I would have kept the money, lol
Cheers,
Michael Bray
Post deleted by Andy In reply to

Last edited by:

Andy: Jul 2, 2002, 9:37 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Thank - less In reply to
Built in - self deleting code would be nice for idiots like that.

Some people eh!

http://www.iuni.com/...tware/web/index.html
Links Plugins
Quote Reply
>>
he had the cheek to say I was being greedy...when in fact it was him, cos he couldn't even be bothered to send me $40 odd
<<

Ahem, that kinda makes it sound like he has a point :)
Quote Reply
Paul..what are you on? I'm trying to run my site as a full time business...and your saying I'm greedy? There are loads of scripts out there charging more than $39.95..and mine is by far the most compitent in features to over 75% of them! I still think he had a lot of cheek to call me 'greedy'!

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Ian] Thank - less In reply to
Good customer service, Andy. When someone annoys you, you go and post his message and his name on a public forum ...

"oops"?

:-)

- wil
Quote Reply
Re: [Wil] Thank - less In reply to
Oh...he did MORE than annoy me! He deserves everything he gets IMO! I don't see any reason for him to say what he did about me, especially seeing as all I did was be nice to him!

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Wil has a valid point. Discussions with customers should be confidential in most cases....I certainly wouldn't be willing to buy products or services from someone or a business if I knew there was the possiblity of them pasting private conversations on a public forum, irrespective of whether something rude or annoying was said.

Do you see GT doing that?....I'm sure they have to deal with plenty of idiots, including me.

Last edited by:

Paul: Jul 2, 2002, 9:47 AM
Quote Reply
OMG..Paul agreeing with Wil on something...break out the champaign!

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Andy

You're pissed. Granted. But, think of your reputation, think of a few weeks down the line when this issue will be history .. this kind of stuff comes back and bytes you in the ass.

If you're 60 minutes ain't up, I'd edit or delete your thread. If it is up, I'd make a request for it to be deleted.

You'll thank me one day. :-)

- wil
Quote Reply
Re: [Wil] Thank - less In reply to
Alredy deleted ;) But it doesnt mean i'm not pissed off with him still!

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk