Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Chit Chat :

Sorry, I gotta vent :(

Quote Reply
Sorry, I gotta vent :(
EUGH! In the Uk, we have a group called the DVLA. They *supposedly* check for illegal cars on the road, get road tax, manage ownerships of cars, etc.

Well, I've just had a letter through today, ordering me to pay £25 (about $40) because I didn't send in my SORN form (Statuary Of Road Notification). Well, not that they will believe me, but I sent it the day before I got my new car! So, I gott pay the fine, even though it wasn't my fault (I got no notifications via the post about it not being notified as SORN).

As if that isn't bad enough, my new car (well, I say new, but I've had it since January), they have *ONLY* just transfered it to my name! I've been stopped 15 times in the last 7 months, because they said it was registered to a female owner, so they wanted to know why I was driving it.

Man, I wish they would get their act together. At the end of the day, its people like me who get screwed over cos their guys have too many coffee breaks! Mad

Sorry, just had to vent that. Its really messed up my day :(

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Sorry, I gotta vent :( In reply to
Um, SORN is what you fill out when your car is OFF the road, not when it's ON it.

- wil
Quote Reply
Re: [Wil] Sorry, I gotta vent :( In reply to
Yeah, my newest car got smashed up by some idiots, who thought it would be clever when drunk :(

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Move out of your council estate then into a nice area where people don't smash up your car Wink
Quote Reply
You seem to be living in a lovely neighbourhood. From what I could peace together, your car has been broken into, window smashed and vandalised in three separate occasions.

Now my dad use to have a very rudimentary alarm system which used to work fine for inexpensive car. He would leave it unlock and always make sure that no valuable where left inside. It happened a few time thieves would just get in, look around and walk off without forcing the lock. ( actually they did once force the lock despite the unlocked doors ).

If they are after the car the locks are unlikely to stop them only a sophisticated alarm system might and even then.

Well I'm not suggesting anyone to do it, it was just an anecdote.Smile

Cheers Richie
Quote Reply
Re: [voigt_99] Sorry, I gotta vent :( In reply to
>>>You seem to be living in a lovely neighbourhood. From what I could peace together, your car has been broken into, window smashed and vandalised in three separate occasions. <<<

...and 2 slashed tyres Frown Its not really that bad of a place, its just a lot of 'crawley' and 'london' boys come into our village, cos they have mates here. They don't seem to like me and my mates very much :(

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
I've been in the same spot, several times. On one occaison, car battery stolen. And, car stolen three times. All from secure locked underground parking in upscale building in upscale neighbourhood (Vancouver West End). Car always locked. Last time car was stolen, there was antitheft device locked to the steering wheel. Garage equipped with video cameras, and patrolled periodically by security guard. As I say, not a bad neighbourhood. But it is a popular area as it is near the beach, attracting the good, the bad, and the ugly. We have since moved to another upscale building in similar neighbourhood (nextdoor to Vancouver's equivalent to LA's Rodeo Drive - Robson Street) in the same area. I've had two expensive mountain bikes stolen (on two separate occaisons) from the secure underground parking (and where bikes locked to bike rack, secured in locked caged room). So I'm in agreement, you cannot assume that because you are victimized multiple times, you are necessarily situated in a bad neighbourhood. Good neighbourhoods are attractive to criminals because there is more and better stuff to steal or vandalize, and the owners are often complacent. And, good areas often have features that attract the bad guys in the first place - as in our case, beaches, parks, etc. which in themselves often host events - like the fireworks (the two bikes were stolen on fireworks nights when there were hundreds of thousands of people from all over the Lower Mainland converging upon the West End). Bad guys do make the rounds.

----
Cheers,

Dan
Founder and CEO

LionsGate Creative
GoodPassRobot
Magelln