Sony Vaio

(Page 1 of 2)
> >
Quote Reply
Sony Vaio
Has anyone seen the new Sony Vaio PC's?

They look pretty awesome to me.

http://www.sonystyle.com/vaio/mx/index.shtml

I saw one when I was out the other day and it looks better than most of the leading brand models.

Its like a mixture between a stereo system and pc.

Last edited by:

RedRum: Dec 30, 2001, 5:18 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [RedRum] Sony Vaio In reply to
Industry News

May 21, 2001

Sony Introduces A VAIO® Desktop PC With A TV And DVD Recorder As Part Of Its New Summer Desktop Lineup

VAIO Digital Studio™ PC With Giga Pocket™ Personal Video Recorder Captures, Transfers, And Manages Digital Video Content

The first PC in the U.S. to include a DVD-RW drive and a TV tuner with built-in recording capabilities, the VAIO® Digital Studio™ PC with Giga Pocket™ Personal Video Recorder combines television and DVD entertainment with computing. The new PCV-RX490TV allows the consumer to watch TV and home videos when they want, where they want.

"This is the industry's first PC with integrated video recording," said Rich Black, Director of Desktop PC Marketing for Sony Electronics' Information Technology Product Division (ITPD). "For consumers who want the latest in entertainment and technology devices, the VAIO Digital Studio PC with Giga Pocket Personal Video Recorder allows them to do two things at once - watch TV on the PC and record TV programs onto a hard drive."

The system is equipped with a 1.70GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor, an 80GB hard drive, a DVD-RW and a CD-ROM drive, and 128MB of RDRAM. The included Ethernet port enables a high speed Internet connection, and up to 100 hours of video can be recorded onto the hard drive. The PCV-RX490TV, which will be available in June, will sell for about $2600, $2,500 after a $100 mail-in rebate. A remote control is included for added convenience.

Sony's new desktop PC enables users to watch TV streamed from cable or other analog sources onto the monitor, and record home videos or TV programs onto the hard drive. Once stored on the hard drive, digital video content can be exported and written onto a DVD using DVD-RW technology. The exported video can then be viewed on a big-screen TV or, for the mobile user, on a DVD-equipped notebook computer.

To further enhance the system, Sony's free iEPG (Internet Electronic Program Guide) service provides easy Internet access to a TV program guide and allows for one-click recording setup. Weekly or daily shows can be programmed in the Giga Pocket Personal Video Recorder and set to record on a regular basis.

For more information, visit www.sony.com/vaio.

Internet Contacts:
http://www.sony.com/vaio

Last edited by:

RedRum: Dec 30, 2001, 5:26 AM
Quote Reply
hmmm .... I've mentioned this bewfore on mac only sites but apple/sony have something going that is interesting ... sony makes lot's of parts for apple. I wonder what their real relationship is ????

I saw the new vaios way back ... heheh ... I live in SonyLand afterall.

Here's the newest thing that sony is pushing ... MDs that connect to your pc. hmmm ... can anyone say iPod ?

The new towers look pretty dam good ! But their topend notebook line has taken a turn for the worse ... to give apple's ti book a chance ?!?!?

hmmm ... the battle of te new century will be between sony and apple vieing for your desktop space.

now if only sony/apple would play nice and intergrate a little more !!! I'd be happy than shit !!!

openoffice + gimp + sketch ... Smile
Quote Reply
Re: [QooQ] Sony Vaio In reply to
The Vaio's aren't just Sony/Mac - I saw one with XP installed.
Quote Reply
errr no .... I meant that sony and apple have some kind of deeper relationship going on. That is what I was trying to get across ... sorry.

Remember the thread about the application that disappeared below the bar at the bottom? The machine was actually either top-of line vaio notebook or one step down running XP.

It would be deifinately cool if Sony would offer machines with OS X !!! Doubt if it would ever happen though Frown

Quote Reply
>>That is what I was trying to get across ... sorry.
<<

No need to apologise....I often miss the point :)
Quote Reply
don't we all !!! Crazy

I miss it more the hit it! hehe oh well such is life I guess.

Quote Reply
Hmm re-reading that post of mine sounded bad....I wasn't saying that you missed the point....I meant don't worry it was probably my fault for missing it.
Quote Reply
which post ???

We playing again with what we thought we were referring to but actually didn't realize that we were referring to the same thing but thought that the other person was referring to something else, while we should've know that the said person knew what we meant to say and we should've know that but we thought that they didn't understand thing?

hehe ... I was just saying we all make mistakes -- no biggy. sorry if we got lost again.

Quote Reply
>>
We playing again with what we thought we were referring to but actually didn't realize that we were referring to the same thing but thought that the other person was referring to something else, while we should've know that the said person knew what we meant to say and we should've know that but we thought that they didn't understand thing?
<<

lol I have no idea what you just said :)
Quote Reply
that was intentional!

just referring to how we miss the mark on our messages/posts sometimes. Crazy

Quote Reply
I want I want

http://www.sonystyle-europe.com/...ch&search=SDMN80

http://www.sonystyle-europe.com/...;id=BDL-CBTNWMS9CEKP

Last edited by:

RedRum: Jan 2, 2002, 1:51 PM
Quote Reply
isn't there the internet md player?

mds are way cool now that they have LP (long play) abilities.

Quote Reply
I've never fancied md's for some reason. Always preferred mp3 (not that I've ever owned either) Cool
Quote Reply
I *used* to fancy an MP3 player and I brought one at the height of Napster and what-not. Got all my music free and loved it. Now that 'free' MP3 music has died on the net, I've reverted back to my MD player -- much, much, much better sound quality and it can hold a hell-of-a-lot more than my MP3 player.

- wil
Quote Reply
Re: [Wil] Sony Vaio In reply to
I think I may buy a pc with a minidisc player in the tower and a portable player too.

I don't think I need it though as I have a car with a cd player in :)

50 watts per speaker....you can crank up the volume without the sound breaking up and the bass makes the wing mirrors tremble Laugh.

Last edited by:

RedRum: Jan 3, 2002, 4:15 AM
Quote Reply
Same here. I pondered for ages if I was to buy a MD player or a CD player for my car. I opted for the CD in the end. Not sure why, actually?! I didn't have a CD burner then, and all my CDs are scratched because I leave them about the car. Hmm, that was actually a rather silly idea. Never mind!

- wil
Quote Reply
>>all my CDs are scratched because I leave them about the car<<

Hah I know the feeling.

I bought my car last October, and shoved a spanking new CD player in there....3 weeks later I came outta the house to go to university and my passenger door had a big hole in the side and another hole where the cd player used to be.

Stupid thing was, it was a removable front player and the front was in the house.

Ah well insurance company paid me £300 when the player only cost me £200 :)

Luckily I had a spare cd player so put that in.....I keep the car in the garage now and let my mum put her VW on the drive Laugh

Last edited by:

RedRum: Jan 3, 2002, 4:23 AM
Quote Reply
CD players in a car suck .... period.

the first year of life in a car is great but eventually the roads that you drive on will were it out. I use a changer and have it mounted on springs on a rack in my truck ... bass from my speakers make it skip ... gonna move it to the front ... possibly eradicate my glove-box and put the changer in it ...

I'm seriously thinking of going md since they take bumps better, can erase and edit them to hearts content ... I have a rotable and even taking a serious spill and cracked crystal the thing still works ... can't say that for my portable cd player though.

I unplugged my woofer box since the wife didn't like the rattle ... hehe ... come spring it comes back on-line too ... screw her.

Quote Reply
>>CD players in a car suck .... period. <<

Au contraire.

>>bass from my speakers make it skip <<

Mine has never skipped.
Quote Reply
You can get CD players now that allow you to place MP3's in a CD player and listen to them, as well as normal CD's. These are probably the best option to go for.

BTW - Most modern car CD players allow you to listen to the music without it skipping...
Cheers,
Michael Bray
Quote Reply
Mine has never ever skipped, and the quality is absolutely superb. The only fault with my CD player is my own - put them back in the darn case Wil! <g>.

- wil
Quote Reply
Quote:
Now that 'free' MP3 music has died on the net
Has it really? I use audiogalaxy and imesh and there is kazaa which are all good.
Lavon Russell
LookHard Mods
lavon@lh.links247.net
Quote Reply
Re: [Bmxer] Sony Vaio In reply to
free yes, illegal yes :)
Quote Reply
Re: [Bmxer] Sony Vaio In reply to
Unfortunately, my uplink provider has blocked Kaazaa. That was good, I must admit.

- wil
> >