Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Chit Chat :

Schoolboy Error

Quote Reply
Schoolboy Error
Damn, I just made a schoolboy error Cool

My swivel chair that I spin erratically on whilst coding is about to bite the bullet so I put it in the car and threw it on the scrap heap a few miles down the road. I then drove 20-25 minutes to PC world just near the Manchester United football stadium and found a chair I wanted.

I got to the checkout and the nice lady scanned the barcode and I handed her my credit card.

Oh crap. It was a new card and as I handed it over to her I realised I hadn't signed it. Obviously she spotted that instantly and said I'd need to sign it, so I thought well that's no problem and asked her for a pen.

Erm, she then decided to call over her supervisor and he told me they couldn't accept a card signed in front of them...hm...so I said well can I take your pen outside and sign it there Wink

To cut a long story short, they wouldn't accept the card unless I had something else with my signature on to show them - I didn't.

ARGH. So I came home and now I have to go back again unless I want to sit on the floor Crazy

Last edited by:

Paul: May 27, 2003, 6:38 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] Schoolboy Error In reply to
>>>To cut a long story short, they wouldn't accept the card unless I had something else with my signature on to show them - I didn't. <<<

Not even your driving license? Unsure I carry mine round with me all the time. Just in case I need to pop into the off-license to buy some drink; or even when the police pull me over (got pulled 2 times in one night yesterday...very scary). Turned out both of them were for nothing major, but they still like to see your license (one was for speeding, but they had to go off to an emergency call, so they didn't bother booking me Sly. The other one was cos someone had been riding around the playing fields on a quad bike, so they 'assumed' we knew something about it...lol).

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Schoolboy Error In reply to
I've been driving 4 years and never been stopped once by the police.

Ok well I say never, but I did actually get stopped once on the way to uni because I was going from a 40 area to D-restricted (60) and was accelerating into it but some copper with a speed gun got me :( ...he didn't charge me though.
Quote Reply
You don't *have* to carry your license with you. You can show all your paperwork (liscence, tax, insurance, etc) at your local police station within 30 days.

Now when the Government introduces their enw controversial ID cards, that'll be a different story ...

- wil
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
I've been driving 4 years and never been stopped once by the police.

Ok well I say never, but I did actually get stopped once on the way to uni because I was going from a 40 area to D-restricted (60) and was accelerating into it but some copper with a speed gun got me :( ...he didn't charge me though.

I must just be unlucky :(

I'm not a bad driver, although like most people; I do have a funny 5 minutes every now and then Sly

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
I've never understood why you need to sign the credit card. If it gets stolen, then the theif will have a sample of your signature to practice forging right in front of them. I don't sign my credit cards and no one has ever asked me to, but I've seen it happen to others.

However, I do have a signature and looks like this: ~ (literally my signature looks like a big tilde) and once a clerk called her manager to ok my check since I signed it with such a scribble. I showed her my license which is signed the exact same way and they both were happy (or perhaps "amused" is a better word.)
Quote Reply
Re: [Watts] Schoolboy Error In reply to
The back of my credit card in the past read "Please check photo ID". That all ended when in going to my bank for a cash advance, they looked at the card, at me, at my licence then finally sending me to the back room where they had me sit on the phone with mastercard giving them all my vitals until they were satisfied that I was me.

The reason they gave me, "well, you could just have made a fake ID".

riggghhhhtttttttt.....

Anyways, now to avoid the annoying hassle, I just sign the back.
Quote Reply
Re: [Aki] Schoolboy Error In reply to
I rarely use my CC in person - it's normally over the internet so no signature is needed which is why I forgot to sign it - oops.
Quote Reply
Same card you used for the ipod? Wink the card isn't even supposedly "valid" until you sign the back >;)

I can understand their position though it seems to be very bad for bad customer relations. Was getting my hair cut and the barber was going through all the different ways he was ripped off in the past and what he had to do to ensure it didn't happen again. The person next to me had their husband or brother just become a victim of identity fraud. Nasty business....
Quote Reply
No my ipod was bought with my old card - this one just arrived a few weeks ago :)

The guy in front on me in the queue at pc world had just bought 4 flat screen monitors...eek.

Last edited by:

Paul: May 27, 2003, 5:24 PM
Quote Reply
An unsigned credit card is an absolute treat for anyone who might pick it up - if you had dropped that card on the way to the store, you'd probably have a very large bill by now. :-)

- wil
Quote Reply
Re: [Wil] Schoolboy Error In reply to
I've never seen a clerk ever check the signature line. They rarely even look at the name....at least here in the states.

I know I never did when I was a bartender, as long as the card went through and my tip was good - no other information was relevant. Wink
Quote Reply
Re: [ArmyAirForces] Schoolboy Error In reply to
I always did when I was on cash. Amusingly though, in the two cases I remember where something odd had occurred (one with no signature, the other signed the slip with a totally wonky signature) they both got pretty angry after I asked them for alternative ID. Their wives immediately thanked me and scolded them that it was for their own safety. Tongue

I've also given a causasian friend my CC to use and the clerk never even noticed that my name is nothing appropriate. I doubt that clerks are given adequate training in the case that something _is_ wrong.
Quote Reply
My dad once used one of my cards by accident as we both have the same card - his signature is D Wilson and mine is P Wilson....he paid for something with it and signed the receipt D Wilson and the cashier checked the receipt against my card which obviously said P Wilson, and she didn't even say anything...just let him pay.
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
My dad once used one of my cards by accident as we both have the same card - his signature is D Wilson and mine is P Wilson....he paid for something with it and signed the receipt D Wilson and the cashier checked the receipt against my card which obviously said P Wilson, and she didn't even say anything...just let him pay.

Scary!

I just remember my number...its 4565.... ... ... Laugh

Seriously though, I just remember the number, exp. date and last 3 digits on the back. I never use it in the 'real world', so I have no need for a physical card. Touch wood, I have never had any problems Smile

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Quote:

That's nothing, check out:

http://www.zug.com/pranks/credit/

=)

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] Schoolboy Error In reply to
It is fairly pointless having a signature. I mean, all internet transactions are made without signature checks. If they really want to stop fraud they should laser enscribe your thumb print on the card Wink

Last edited by:

Paul: Jun 3, 2003, 11:22 AM