Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Chit Chat :

SONY VAIO NOTEBOOK

Quote Reply
SONY VAIO NOTEBOOK
Hello. Im kinda new here, and found the place through google. I was looking for help with my SONY VAIO NOTEBOOK, and this came up, so I hope that I am in the right place.

Anyway, here is my question.
I have a Sony Vaio f-590 notebook pc. According to Sony, the max ram i can put in there is 256. (it comes with a 128MB card, and i added another one) Is this really true? If i were to buy two 256 cards, and put them in, total of 512MB, is there any real reason that the system wont accept it?

Also, on a side note, does anyone know of any decent programs (ive heard them refered as "wrappers") that will trick my Vaio, a Direct X only machine, to run OpenGL?

If this is not the right place to ask such things, can anyone please point me in the right direction. Thanks so much.
Quote Reply
Re: [movieman21] SONY VAIO NOTEBOOK In reply to
Sometimes, you can put more memory in that the manufacturer reports, but sometimes you can't because of the limitations of the motherboard's chipset. Only way to know is to actually try (ie. borrow some compatible ram from someone else). I just went over to crucial to see what memory they have is compatible with the f-590, and they also report a max of 256mb (http://www.crucial.com/...201%29&submit=Go)

Adrian
Quote Reply
Re: [movieman21] SONY VAIO NOTEBOOK In reply to
Thanks. Actually, Crucial is where I got my current RAM from in the first place. I will try it, worst case, I just go back to 256. However, I dont know anyone who has a compatible ram. If i buy it, once its open, i cant return it. Thanks again.