Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Chit Chat :

Removing Windows Media Player from XP

Quote Reply
Removing Windows Media Player from XP
Anyone know how to do this? It doesn't get listed in Add/Remove programs in the Control Panel.

- wil
Quote Reply
Re: [Wil] Removing Windows Media Player from XP In reply to
"Uh yeah format C:\ then install linux"

Don't you just love that type of response Tongue
Quote Reply
Hi Wil,

They tied it in really tight in XP. So if you want to use another media player just assign it (the new one) as the primary. Then it will be called rather than Media Player.

Cool
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] Removing Windows Media Player from XP In reply to
Hey Paul!

Everybody likes to cheer on the losing team to make it a better game!Wink
Quote Reply
Not really, as it's not useful to the context of the question asked.

- wil
Quote Reply
Re: [Teambldr] Removing Windows Media Player from XP In reply to
Hi Brian

That's too bad. I have assigned another media player to take over handling all known media types on this paticular machine. However, I really want to uninstall it as I disagree with the latest 'updates' that have been made to the software and the EULA in version 7.1. There's no way to revert to version 7 or prior, so I really wish to uninstall it, if possible.

- wil
Quote Reply
>>
Not really, as it's not useful to the context of the question asked.
<<

Ahh I was just re-living past responses in a similar tone by you to me, tasting your own medicine isn't as sweet :)

Quote:
Why don't you just partition your hard drive and run a decent OS on the other? Hmm, maybe Linux comes into mind?

Last edited by:

Paul: Aug 15, 2002, 10:17 AM
Quote Reply
I understand.

They have just made it tie in too deep with XP to do it and not have fatal issues.

What about the registry though? I wonder if you took out the keys associated with the 7.1 upgrade and then used the install disk to repair if that would work?

I don't know if it would and it may cause problems as well but that is the only idea I have. Sorry!Crazy
Quote Reply
Re: [Teambldr] Removing Windows Media Player from XP In reply to
Thanks for the suggestions.

- wil
Quote Reply
If it caused you annoyance, then I will appolagize for my previous attempts at humour.

- wil
Quote Reply
Quote:
If it caused you annoyance, then I will appolagize

Quote:
it's not useful to the context of the question asked.

I rest my case.
Quote Reply
Out of interest, what was the "case"?

- wil
Quote Reply
*Paul yawns and walks into the sunset...*
Quote Reply
Hm... if you installed Media Player from Windows Update, then you'll have to check through the hotfixes you've installed in order to remove it. (You'll have to do a lookup on the knowledge base on the hotfix number.)

Incidently, it is possible to remove MSN Messenger. If you set the group policies to not allow Messenger to run, then it makes Outlook load really slow. However, if you were lucky enough to guess the uninstall sequence was:

Code:
RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\INF\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove

then you can remove it safely.

On that note, why the hell does XP force you to run Messenger when you run Outlook, anyway? (rhetorical question)

--Philip
Links 2.0 moderator
Quote Reply
I had to roll back my system to remove it. I was looking around online and this was the only option for removing wmp. There is an option in the start menu to roll back to prior settings. Unless you disabled it...in which case...your probably due to format...Wink
Quote Reply
Re: [g00dchyld] Removing Windows Media Player from XP In reply to
Ah. Never mind. Windows XP is now gone in favour of Debian running KDE with a nice Mac OS X theme. Ahh. Bliss. :-)

- wil
Quote Reply
You don't you sign up to beta test .NET Server. You get all the benefits of Windows XP Pro (for FREE), minus the XP skin.

Philip
------------------
Limecat is not pleased.
Quote Reply
Re: [fuzzy thoughts] Removing Windows Media Player from XP In reply to
Or do the same and get Darwin instead of Debian and find a version of the pdf based GUI for OSX Wink

I run OSX with Darwin so that I can use windowmarker thereby using Gimp. Lol ... I could do it rootless too but I like seeing a different theme to remind me I'm using ahem *nix apps.

openoffice + gimp + sketch ... Smile