Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Chit Chat :

which book ... ???

Quote Reply
which book ... ???
OK, I'm gonna do some X-mas shopping for myself and I'm gonna get a perl book that goes beyond the dummy level.

As some of you know my experience and level already what do you recommend?

I'm thinking about the Camel but ... I'd rather go through PERL properly which got me thinking about the LLama ...

Well folks which way do I go?

openoffice + gimp + sketch ... Smile
Quote Reply
Re: [QooQ] which book ... ??? In reply to
Programming Perl is a good one....

More books can be found at http://www.oreilly.com/
========================================
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me
Quote Reply
Re: [Heckler] which book ... ??? In reply to
Thanks Eliot,

Isn't the Camel more difficult?

Quote Reply
Several months ago, I did research on perl books and purchased these two:

Perl Resource Kit, Unix Edition, O'Rielly Software, ISBN: 1-56592-370-7, MSRP US$150.

Perl 5 Interactive Course, Certified Edition, Waite Group Press, ISBN: 1-57169-113-8, MSRP US$50.

--
Rob

SW Montana's Online Community
Modular Model Railroading
Quote Reply
Re: [vanderen] which book ... ??? In reply to
Thanks for the reply.

The resource kit is a little much for me since I'm gonna eventually do Java with webobjects.
The other book looks pretty good // just can't seem to find it at amazon-Japan.... Frown

Quote Reply
I have bought some stuff from Amazon and some stuff from vendors selling on eBay.

That might help other readers of this thread, but Unfortunately that probably doesn't help you. Frown
--
Rob

SW Montana's Online Community
Modular Model Railroading
Quote Reply
Programming Perl, otherwise known as the Camel. Go with this one for sure. It is most definitely the Perl bible. And it's written by Larry Wall amongst others, so it's sure to bare some relevance to the language ;-)

Folks tell me that the Perl Cookbook is a good companion to the Camel. I haven't brought this myself, but it might be worth it if you are one of those people who learn by example.

Cheers

- wil
Quote Reply
Hi,

If you have a programming background, then Programming Perl is great, otherwise start of with Learning Perl, it's much better for non-programmers. (Programming Perl is more of a language reference, then teaching you).

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] which book ... ??? In reply to
hmmm .... I think Alex is closer to where I'm at.

I have programming skills which date around 87' ... basic ... (bit of Pascal) and (8am fortran class which I slept through) ... Freshman year was more about drinking, parties, and girls rather than my future Angelic

During the last few years I've been redoing much of what I should've done the first 2 years of college. Blush

Camel vs. LLama ... the CookBook I need to check up on some more but I was looking for something that I could use to study systematically and actually learn "fundamental" programming properly.

... a few more replies and I'll punch the order through! Laugh

Quote Reply
I got the llama ... thanks all for the advice.

I'm on chapter 2 but ... looking forward to my step already. of course, going slowly and trying to comprehend what I'm reading ... the answers in back are really nice to see what I could've done to make the script more efficent or more .... programmer like Laugh

So ... next book which should I get next ? The camel seems like it would be redundant or wouldn't it?

Quote Reply
Get the Camel. After all, it is =the= bible :-)

- wil
Quote Reply
Re: [Wil] which book ... ??? In reply to
Another great book I have which was a very good reference book more than a learning tool was "MySQL and Perl for the Web". Could be handy if you ever needed to roll out database-powered sites. "Programming the Perl DBI" is better as a learning aid for the DBI module.

- wil
Quote Reply
Re: [Wil] which book ... ??? In reply to
hmmm ... dbi one sounds good ... but I'm hoping to do a gradula progression ... I figure if I'm gonna do this I might as well do it right ... and not get in over my head to quickly.