Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Chit Chat :

the use of @ in posts.

Quote Reply
the use of @ in posts.
Since we had the first poster question ... which I thought was pretty obvious ... oh well.

I was wonder who started using "@" here first?
ie,
@ chit chat blah blah
or
@ Paul
You're too funny Laugh

As a side note. I thought that it was pretty cool that somebody picked up on how I would write a reason for editing and using it in Gossamer Forum. Blush I hope that I didn't unconsiusly pick up from somewhere and just started using it here. I did it just because I saw lot's of finger pointing here Blush

cheers

openoffice + gimp + sketch ... Smile
Quote Reply
Re: [QooQ] the use of @ in posts. In reply to
I've only ever seen you do stuff like:

@ Carsten
I hate how macs handle cookies Cool
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] the use of @ in posts. In reply to
@ cookies
Tongue Just wait till I sick Ian on you Angelic

Quote Reply
@ Carsten
I have a sick phobia
Quote Reply
@ sick
hmmm, doesn't sick means something else in British English besides a cold?

oh well, I already knew of that phobiz of yours. You're just paranoid. Angelic

Quote Reply
Ian's new Mac should be coming any day (or week) now. And he likes cookies.Smile
Quote Reply
Re: [Ian] the use of @ in posts. In reply to
I'll be putting an order in this week for one of those new dual-processor Macs for a colleague. They look super-sexy. I love how they now come with as standard with dual-head video cards so you can stick two monitors on them for twice the desktop space. Neat.

- wil
Quote Reply
Re: [Wil] the use of @ in posts. In reply to
Built with graphics in mind IMO.

The dual 1 or 1.25's? I am not sure the 1.25's have actually shipped yet or not, despite them being advertised and sold.

Most of the new Flat Panel iMacs are still being shipped (I have been waiting for 2 weeks now).

The wait will be worth it though.

I could not afford a PowerMac, but that might be my next computer. (or if business picks up a 2nd computer).
Quote Reply
I'm not too keen on the iLamps myself, but I guess the PowerMacs can be expensive just to buy as your home machine, yes. I'm not sure of the specs of the machine, I only know that they started going out on sale maybe two weeks ago? I'm not sure if any have actually been shipped yet. I'll be able to give you more details when I go to order.

They are definitily built for graphics and such yes, but with OS X built on Unix, with that familiar bash prompt, running the built-in Apache and MySQL server is a breaze. You can use it just as a normal unix based machine, which is a super sexy idea for me. If the budget allows for it, I'm hoping to get a copy of Final Cut Pro, too.

- wil
Quote Reply
Yes, the whole Unix env. is what sold me.

But my iLamp has a dvd burner which intend on putting to immeditate use :)
Quote Reply
Aha. This PowerMac has a superdrive, too. Which is a big bonus when working with large graphic files, yeah.

Although I've just ordered a new Maxtor 60gig drive for the file server. Yummy. God bless Samba, netatalk and Linux.

- wil
Quote Reply
Sheesh put your hardons away.
Quote Reply
Ok... i'll put it away for another rainy day.

Good choice on the SuperDrive though. I think you get about 4.3 gig on each after all the system files etc.
Quote Reply
I think so, yeah. I'm not sure of the specs. It was needed as we send big projects to printers, and when I mean big, I mean spanning across 3 ordinary CDs, so this will hopefully make it easier to send out print jobs. It's just the extra cost of a dvd, versus the overhead and the hassle of burning 3 cds ...

- wil
Quote Reply
I found a place in the states which sells the compatible DVDs but the hundered, I think they worked out to a couple of bucks each, (under $5 from memory).

Apple wants $40 for 5 which is still not bad. (i cant remember if that is CDN or USD)
Quote Reply
Hm. That's interesting. I'm still waiting for design studios to keep up with technology and install some FTP software. Sigh. When on the phone to a tech at a studio the other day, he asked me "can you ISDN the files down to me ..." ... uh. yeah, right.

- wil
Quote Reply
That's too funny.

"Blair Witch Project" was done on 2 G3 350 macs with final cut pro.

Final Cut Pro basically knocked Premier off many mac user machines. It's pretty dam sweet.

Quote Reply
Blair Witch Project was intentionally flakey in terms of video quality, it was meant to look like a standard video camera.

No idea why I posted that, just felt like saying it Cool

Last edited by:

Paul: Sep 9, 2002, 12:19 PM
Quote Reply
hmmm, I heard that they used only crappy cameras.