Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Chit Chat :

Popup Killer

(Page 1 of 2)
> >
Quote Reply
Popup Killer
I'm not going to change from IE to Mozilla or alike and I hate popups (as we all do) soooo over the last few days I've been writing my own popup killer for Internet Explorer.

I'd really like some of you guys to try it out. I've attached some screenshots so you can see.

It is not quite done yet but when it is I'll reply here. It is totally free :)

I'm so proud of myself Cool

Last edited by:

Paul: Jan 25, 2003, 7:38 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] Popup Killer In reply to
Here ya go.

I've only tested it on XP with all the VB runtime libs installed so let me know if it breaks or on the other hand it way work like a dream :)
Quote Reply
Ok I've just tested on Win98 and everything seems to work apart from the update download option as I need to bundle an OCX with the installer, and the only other thing I can see is that the minimize option doesn't put the icon in the system tray.

Last edited by:

Paul: Jan 25, 2003, 12:58 PM
Quote Reply
I've fixed those bugs and tested on XP/98 and all seems to work.

I've setup a page for it.

http://adsql.com/adstop/
Quote Reply
when you exit the program is it supposed to scroll up through the top of your screen?

Philip
------------------
Limecat is not pleased.
Quote Reply
Re: [fuzzy thoughts] Popup Killer In reply to
Hehe yeah it wasn't just a cool mishap....it is coded to do that Wink
Quote Reply
How can popups be blocked in Mozilla? I haven't found anything in the settings.

Thanks Smile

Last edited by:

DogTags: Jan 28, 2003, 4:39 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [DogTags] Popup Killer In reply to
They can't - its an internet explorer popup killer :)
Quote Reply
Would you use it if I added the ability to close mozilla popups too?
Quote Reply
Oops...Sorry, I wasn't clear. I know your prog is for IE. I use Mozilla (love those tabs!), and I'm looking for something that works with it. Smile

------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Go to "Preferences -> Advanced -> Scripts & Plugins". There you can controll all kinds of javascript behaviour.

Ivan
-----
Iyengar Yoga Resources / GT Plugins
Quote Reply
I've updated the app to kill Netcsape, Mozilla and Phoenix popups :)

If you give me 10 minutes I'll update the download Wink
Quote Reply
Re: [yogi] Popup Killer In reply to
In Reply To:
Go to "Preferences -> Advanced -> Scripts & Plugins". There you can controll all kinds of javascript behaviour.

Thanks, yogi. I think the one that will work is to uncheck "Open unrequested windows" Smile

I'll snag your update, too, Paul. Thanks. Smile
Quote Reply
YeeHah! That was it....what a relief!

Thanks, yogi! Cool Cool
Quote Reply
Well *cough* my app has more options Wink

The download is updated.

http://www.adsql.com/adstop/AdStop-1.17.zip
Quote Reply
Well *cough cough cough*, does your application run under linux?

Ivan
-----
Iyengar Yoga Resources / GT Plugins
Quote Reply
Paul, do you suppose your pop-up killer will work with WIN2000?
Quote Reply
Re: [joematt] Popup Killer In reply to
It works on XP so I think it should work ok.

If you have Win2K and are willing to test I'd appreciate it :)
Quote Reply
Re: [yogi] Popup Killer In reply to
Quote:
Well *cough cough cough*, does your application run under linux?

Well *cough cough cough* does Konqueror work under windows? Wink
Quote Reply
There could be an issue with using Titles as the key to blocking things.

Over at Mail.com, a lot of their popups are titled "email.com" and that's it. In fact, the popup content will often be a single image, not text (don't know if that makes a difference)

Would AdStop be able to distinguish which "email.com" windows I wanted and which not?

That is what seems to be the great feature behind adjusting the script settings in Mozilla. It referred to not opening "Unrequested" windows. So, I guess if you don't click for it, it won't open.

Found a prob with the Mozilla, though. If you click a link designed to open in a popup, it still blocks it. So, the designation, "unrequested" is not really accurate. Even though I deliberately click a link that I had configured to open in a newwin, the bugger didn't open. Frown This could be a serious issue with things like shopping carts.

I went into a mail.com account. The mail didn't open in a popup.

However, if I right-clicked, "This Frame", Open frame in new tab....doggone, the mail links now open in new windows even though I still have the open unrequested windows unchecked.....oh, well....Crazy

What would be really nice is if you could toggle this feature right on the toolbar. Then, you could easily click back and forth depending on your circumstances. Cool Cool Cool

Last edited by:

DogTags: Jan 28, 2003, 6:43 AM
Quote Reply
Quote:
Over at Mail.com, a lot of their popups are titled "email.com" and that's it. In fact, the popup content will often be a single image, not text (don't know if that makes a difference)

It starts to get very difficult handling external windows other than IE apart from grabbing the window caption.

There is not a lot of support for it by companies such as Netscape due to their battles with M$.

Apart from the window caption how were you thinking of blocking them?
Quote Reply
Mozilla does block unrequested popups and can allow you to open a legitimate link in a new window. You just have to put a check in the "Open a link in the new window" box and restart Mozilla.

- wil

Last edited by:

Wil: Jan 28, 2003, 7:56 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [Wil] Popup Killer In reply to
Thanks, Wil. Ya know, I have Mozilla 1.2.1 (the latest), but I do not have the "Open a link in the new window" option in the Preferences. I can't find it anywhere. Do you think it has something to do with whether you elect to use tabs? What version do you use?

Paul, I'm not sure how best to handle blocking unwanted popups. It's just that sites like Mail.com seem to have found away around those programs that use the title for blocking by naming many of their pages "email.com". I like how AdStop rolls up Smile
Quote Reply
Is there anyone with Win2K who can test this app for me please?

It works for me but not someone else on Win2K so just looking for a third person :)
Quote Reply
I'm running Mozilla 1.01, and of course I'm using tabs. Running the web without tabs! Blah! :-)

- wil
> >