Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] Racism In reply to
Mine didn't. Too many times watching Kimba and the Lion King I am sure. Wink

edit:

Main Entry: ig·no·rant
Pronunciation: 'ig-n(&-)r&nt
Function: adjective
Date: 14th century
1 a : destitute of knowledge or education <an ignorant society>; also : lacking knowledge or comprehension of the thing specified <parents ignorant of modern mathematics> b : resulting from or showing lack of knowledge or intelligence <ignorant errors>
2 : UNAWARE, UNINFORMED
- ig·no·rant·ly adverb
- ig·no·rant·ness noun
synonyms IGNORANT, ILLITERATE, UNLETTERED, UNTUTORED, UNLEARNED mean not having knowledge. IGNORANT may imply a general condition or it may apply to lack of knowledge or awareness of a particular thing <an ignorant fool> <ignorant of nuclear physics>. ILLITERATE applies to either an absolute or a relative inability to read and write <much of the population is still illiterate>. UNLETTERED implies ignorance of the knowledge gained by reading <an allusion meaningless to the unlettered>. UNTUTORED may imply lack of schooling in the arts and ways of civilization <strange monuments built by an untutored people>. UNLEARNED suggests ignorance of advanced subjects <poetry not for academics but for the unlearned masses>.

Last edited by:

Teambldr: Jul 31, 2002, 3:45 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [Teambldr] Racism In reply to
>>
Too many times watching Kimba and the Lion King I am sure.
<<

Real lion:

http://www.lionresearch.org/imgs/eatingpig.jpg

Cartoon lion:

http://www.geocities.com/...6372/map/navicon.jpg

Can you spot the difference Cool
Quote Reply
You would have to go back a few years and direct that question at my kids to get an accurate answer.

LOL
Quote Reply
Re: [Teambldr] Racism In reply to
Even though it's nature, that first picture makes me sad :(
Quote Reply
It makes me hungry!Tongue
Quote Reply
Re: [Seto Kaiba] Racism In reply to
I can give you a little insight from my own experience.

My own racist views were formed during the late 1960's when I was but a child. We lived in the midwest USA, inner city, poor, white, in a mixed neighborhood. If you don't recall, there were race riots in the late 60's, forced school busing, and generally alot of people were quite open about there racist views. We formed white "gangs" to combat the black gangs, etc. etc. etc.

So my point here is we are all products of our environment and our attitudes are generally "locked-in" by about 10 years of age.

So later in life I tried to lose the racist attitudes, which was very hard to do. My wife helped as she would not tolerate any comments, jokes, etc.

I find though that even though I do not make racist statements, the feelings are still there. So to dispel my attitudes formed through "bad" experiences I have tried to find "good" experiences. Further, and more important, if you want to end racism on a local level, then you cannot tolerate the comments and jokes (as per my wife's actions).

For a person who is in high School or college, you are sure to be tested by the "crowd". It is your duty to influence your peers while there is still a chance.

The other day as my friend (a rather skinny guy) helped me unload and install some heavy sliding glass door panels, I commented that at the store they sent me out a real skinny guy to help and so I asked the skinny guy at the store if he thought he could lift the glass doors into the truck, he said he was not sure, so I asked for better help. My skinney friend did not tolerate such characterizations (ie skinny = weak).

You just never know when your comments are out of line.
Quote Reply
Re: [joematt] Racism In reply to
@ teambldr
wow! I really like how you zero in on these points and cut out the surrounding rethoric.

@joematt
the past is the past, but it seems like that you're making the right steps forward

@scary
I get similar reactions quite a lot. A young pre-school age child will look at me and then burst into tears. ( lol, I'm not ugly or anything like that ... if so the girls wouldn't smile Tongue ... hehe ... don't tell my wife that Shocked ) So, I totally agree that there is a sociological training that is going on. If you see enough of one type or various types you'll get accustomed to them.

Of course, I'm eliminating the idea that gang bangers aren't scary. This is a different type of fear.

@discrimination by one's own race
Now, this is something I could never really understand. I've seen it and don't understand.

@hate the whitey
You know I'm really getting sick of that view-point. Besides, it's racism all in it's own.

@China
I'm not that knowledgable about the whole setup and history of it. But if my explanation did work. How can a few whitey's on a few boats have that much power? Hmmm, opium? Yeah, the whitey made all those Chinese smoke it. Hmmm, I wonder if it didn't exist prior to first contact.

@US government
The government has always been paranoid. Gee, didn't they do any house cleaning during Hover's control period. For fun let's throw in the A-Bomb that's another controvercial issue.

@perpetuation
I'm gonna sit with joematt here. We need to start on the local level. Primarily with ourselves. You can read whatever you want into virtually anything. If you dig for the right statistical outcome you'll get it. So, why don't we all just call all sides even for once and for all. LoL, I see it coming, but the slaves were treated horribly for XX years. Agreed! But if we don't eventually draw the line somewhere; when and where do you we DO draw it?

I want to forget the past. The past shouldn't concern me. I want to deal with the people around me on even terms. I want to see people for what they're really worth and not their ancestor's name value. I believe that the net will help us eventually to make this possible. I've called this new age/religion "Net'ism".

Think about it .... how many friends (people) on the new have you come across that you like?
How many of these same people would you have actually talked too if you met them on the street, bus, bar?
Does their race, religion, body construction really matter?

think about it ....

openoffice + gimp + sketch ... Smile
Quote Reply
Re: [QooQ] Racism In reply to
Thanks QooQ!

My upbringing was diverse yet simple. My first year of Junior High I was 1 of 7 white kids in the school. Music education consisted of James Brown and Sly and the Family Stone. Which to this day I enjoy! The reason, exposure and forced openess. I was a minority in the school so the rules were a little skewed. So rather than ask why are the rules this way I accepted them and looked forward to being a part of the team rather than the odd man out.
> >