Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Chit Chat :

Photoshop: getting rid of a background

Quote Reply
Photoshop: getting rid of a background
Hello all,

I would be very grateful to anyone who can help me with what seems should be simple.

There is a colored circle on a white background (pre-existing image; not one I created), and I'd like to use the circle only without any background.

I've tried using the background eraser, and the magic eraser tools, but can't seem to get rid of the white bacground (it still shows up white on my website) despite the fact that when I erase it, it does show a transparent background.

Perhaps my inablilty to do this has to do with the fact that the one layer that exists says background and is locked, but I copied it onto a new layer which is UNlocked, but I still can't get it to work!

I also tried the extract tool, but somehow couldn't get all of the pixels to erase (most, but not all), and now I can't even access the extract tool! It's just not listed in the Image>Mode menu.

Please, please help!!!
Quote Reply
Re: [Zebra] Photoshop: getting rid of a background In reply to
Magick erasor tool? (right click the 'eraser' button on the menu). Thats how I would do it anyway :)

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
This tutorial (http://development.gurusnetwork.com/.../replace_background/) at the Guru's Network covers some of the techniques required for removing the background. Maybe that will help you out.

~Charlie
:wq
Quote Reply
Re: [Chaz] Photoshop: getting rid of a background In reply to
Sorry for the delay. Went out of town. Thanks Chaz for the tutorial. It didn't help for the thing I needed to do last week, but may be useful for other tasks in the future. I figured out another solution for my problem, though. :-) Andy, as I said, I wasn't able to get the magic eraser to work for me properly.
Quote Reply
I have a very close friend that teaches a college Photoshop course. He would probably be happy to help you out when you need it. His name is Michael and his mail is mbehr@photomaniausa.com. You can tell him Ralph sent you.

Bud (Ralph)
Quote Reply
Re: [budpeppers] Photoshop: getting rid of a background In reply to
Thanks Bud! Very nice of you to suggest contacting Michael. I'll keep his name/email on file.