Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Chit Chat :

Norton AV alternatives?

(Page 1 of 2)
> >
Quote Reply
Norton AV alternatives?
My subscription to Norton AV recently expired and I don't really want to pay for another year of updates on an already outdated program that can't be upgraded due to OS restrictions in the setup program in newer NAV versions.

I don't like McAffee VirusScan...

Philip
------------------
Limecat is not pleased.
Quote Reply
Re: [fuzzy thoughts] Norton AV alternatives? In reply to
I've used PC-cillin

http://www.trendmicro.com/...valuate/overview.htm

(it came free with my motherboard) and it's worked quite well. I like it as it's just a virus scanner and not one of these all in one personal security suites (aka destroy your windows installation).

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] Norton AV alternatives? In reply to
We use Sophos AntiVirus here. It's more of an enterprise solution for a networked based installation, or at least that's how it works best IMO. You can also install it standalone on individual workstations.

http://www.sophos.com/

- wil
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] Norton AV alternatives? In reply to
Sigh.... I bought PC-Cillin only to find out it also will not run on .NET Server 2003. They want me to spend $700 on a 25 client license. Isn't there some way to fool a program into thinking it's in a different OS? Compatibility mode doesn't have any effect. That's quite annoying.

Philip
------------------
Limecat is not pleased.
Quote Reply
You should have read the "Requirements" page first :)
Quote Reply
McAfee ? Thats what I use on my Pc. Its quite friendly when running in the background of your PC...unlike Norton, which seems to drain most of the CPU Frown

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] Norton AV alternatives? In reply to
You and I both know that system requirements don't usually include beta OS's. ARRRG. And you know it's just a dumb registry check or something little like that.

Anyway, my roommate went on the campus' download site and got NAV 8 Corporate Edition for me and it seems to work. Doesn't look as pretty as NAV 2000, but it works.

I may try installing win2k pro on an empty partition and then installing PC-Cillin from there. Once it's installed I don't imagine it will quibble about which one of my 3 os's is running the program.

Philip
------------------
Limecat is not pleased.
Quote Reply
Tut tut - an illegal copy? Wink

>>
Once it's installed I don't imagine it will quibble about which one of my 3 os's is running the program.
<<

Don't hold your breathe....Partition Magic was majorly anally retentive for me.
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Norton AV alternatives? In reply to
I've never noticed any slowdowns when running NAV... but then I'm running dual cpu's also so I'm not really suseptible unless I'm already running a power-draining process.

Philip
------------------
Limecat is not pleased.
Quote Reply
My 1.2Ghz / 256Mb RAM didn't really like Norton... McAfee was just a lot friendlier. As you say, its probably down to the fact you have a dual processor computer Tongue

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Illegal? Not really. He is licensed to install one copy on any computer he wants.

Partition Magic? Who the hell uses that? I have always used the command line during an OS install.

Philip
------------------
Limecat is not pleased.
Quote Reply
256MB RAM is a bit on the lowish side - that probably added to the slowness.
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
256MB RAM is a bit on the lowish side - that probably added to the slowness.

Which is why I just upgraded to a new PC, with a 1.7Ghz P4, and 512Mb of RAM Wink

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Quote:
Partition Magic? Who the hell uses that? I have always used the command line during an OS install.

I know a lot of poeple who use it :) ...it is far more flexible than something like fdisk.
Quote Reply
1.7?....you can get processors over 3ghz now Wink
Quote Reply
Yeah...but they are not very stable, and a 1.7 is good for me. I only use it for me programming, and some graphics stuff. An extra 500Mhz should be fast enough for me, especially seeing as I got it at cost price Smile

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
>>
Yeah...but they are not very stable
<<

stable?
Quote Reply
>>>stable?<<<

i.e. crash, overheat, etc. I would rather gop for a technology that has been around longer. Last time I went for up-to-date technology, it was crap, cos it kept freezing on me Frown

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Thats bull....if your pc is properly configured (hardware wise) then it won't overheat. As for crashes, I doubt that would happen either. This is pentium, they won't release a processor that crashes.
Quote Reply
I'm refering to my old Athelon ;)

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Crashes are more likely to be OS related than cpu related.
Quote Reply
And are more likely to be memory related, i.e. faulty memory modules than CPU.

- wil
Quote Reply
Auto-Response From PaulBot! In reply to
Hello,

This is an auto-reponse from PaulBot.

You have received this response because Paul feels it is not worth his time to repond personally to your message.

Better luck next time.

Thanks,
PaulBot.
Quote Reply
I use AntiVir which is free, and runs on most Windoze systems and doesn't need a fast CPU or lots of memory.

I used to use it on a 486 with 8Mb, though they have expanded the package a little since then. I've had no problems with it on my PII 300MHz/64Mb laptop.
Quote Reply
Re: [wysardry] Norton AV alternatives? In reply to
I'm going to give AntiVir a whirl now.....
> >