Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Chit Chat :

Moving/Extending an ISDN line?

Quote Reply
Moving/Extending an ISDN line?
Hi

Has anyone succesfully moved or extended their ISDN line?

I've got a machine here that has an ISDN card and a cable coming out of it into an ISDN socket on the wall. However, I want to move the machine to another part of the building - say 20m away.

What do I need to move the ISDN line? Can I just buy an ordinary telephone extension lead and that would do the trick? Or is there different wiring used from a standard telephone line?

- wil
Quote Reply
Re: [Wil] Moving/Extending an ISDN line? In reply to
OK .. here goes. Although I live in Japan ... I don't think it will make a difference Crazy unless standards are different

I was using a da/tsu (errr ... modem type) and was just using an ordinary phone line ... my line was actually around the 10m length. shouldn't the isdn line just be 2 regular lines rigged together ???

hehe, before spending money just grab any old phone cord and slapped the thing on and give it a whirl.

noise / interference shouldn't be a real problem ... unless the cord is all old and ratty ... ISDN in Japan really got a performance hit when it came to ratty old wiring in my building ... Frown

hehe ... got ADSL now though! Laugh

have fun

openoffice + gimp + sketch ... Smile
Quote Reply
Re: [QooQ] Moving/Extending an ISDN line? In reply to
Thanks for the reply.

If I try it using a phone extension where is it (which I am about do sometime today) - if it works, great. BUT, how do I figure out if the phone extension is limiting the data transfer speed? Is it only running at the max normal phone line rate which is 56k (?) instead of a 128 or whatever this ISDN line is?

Cheers

- wil
Quote Reply
Edited...

<later on>
Look at this:
http://telecommuting.about.com/...jkristof%2Fisdn.html
good info on ISDN. I used to know all of this stuff once upon a time.
</later on>

Last edited by:

Watts: Dec 13, 2001, 8:06 AM
Quote Reply
Lol Wil, I still dream of ISDN. It is like £200 per month over here at the moment, and then the special ISP's you need to get the most out of it. Hopefully when we finally get ADSL i will get that, but I'm not holding my breath Tongue

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [AndyNewby] Moving/Extending an ISDN line? In reply to
>>Lol Wil, I still dream of ISDN. It is like £200 per month over here at the moment<<

Hmm? I live in Manchester and my cable modem (which is about 4-5 times faster than 128k ISDN) is £25/month

NTL are also offering 128k cable modems for £14.99/month

Last edited by:

PaulW: Dec 13, 2001, 2:14 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [PaulW] Moving/Extending an ISDN line? In reply to
Cable modems in the U.S. run about $40 per month. Our ISDN was like $50 per month, but it was called "dial on demand" so that you were not connected 24/7. It only connected when you accessed a website or something and then dropped the connection after 5 minutes of inactivity (connection time took like 2 seconds). It came with 150 hours per month before they upgraded your account to a more expensive plan. Definitely a good budget plan for small companies, etc.

Our router had 4:1 compression so speed was not too bad either. We are now on cable modem at work and it has run flawlessly since spring (no down time, etc).

Quote Reply
Re: [Watts] Moving/Extending an ISDN line? In reply to
I think it is a bit silly that ISDN is so much more than a cable modem when a cable modem can out perform ISDN.

My cable modem is 512kbps and it costs me £25 which I think it just a little under $40. I've had the modem for about 4-5 months and the connection has dropped only a few times.

It is supposed to give me an average speed of about 70kb/s but for some reason the Gossamer server gives 115kb/s (not kbps) and DMOZ gives 330kb/s

I can download the 800MB DMOZ content.rdf file in the bat of an eyelid.

Incase anyone wonders, 1kb is 8kbps

Last edited by:

PaulW: Dec 13, 2001, 2:30 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [Watts] Moving/Extending an ISDN line? In reply to
geee ... for once Japan is cheaper than other countries.

1.5m (so they say!!!) line at about $30 a month for ADSL
64k ISDN 24/365 at about now $20 ...

Quote Reply
>>geee ... for once Japan is cheaper than other countries<<

Ive always thought Japan is cheap, thats why everyone goes over to buy gadgets.
Quote Reply
hmmm ... when I still lived in the states after visiting Osaka for the summer I realized that Japan dumps cheaper products that you'd never see in Japan on the americans.

ie, tiny cassette size walkmans .... US$300 in Japan which you couldn't find in america until years later through stores like sharper image (high toys for men type of store)

4 years ago I bought a small dv video camera a little bigger than a passport and walked around Vegas with it and folks came up to me and said "cool -- you must just have come from Japan"

I wouldn't necessarily say cheaper but I would definately say the gadgets in Japan are much nicer.

Quote Reply
Quote:
I wouldn't necessarily say cheaper but I would definately say the gadgets in Japan are much nicer.
Yeah, you guys get all the cool gadgets once they come out. It takes years before (if at all) they reach North America. Man, if I went to Japan, I'd come back with suitcases of stuff and an empty wallet/bank accounts Crazy.

Adrian
Quote Reply
Re: [brewt] Moving/Extending an ISDN line? In reply to
Quote:
I'd come back with suitcases of stuff and an empty wallet/bank accounts

Laugh you'd need multiple wallets and accounts for sure !!!

then again this all depends on the type of toys you like!

We do miss out on all the cheap hardware and prices that you folks have on the continent!

Quote Reply
I just live in the rip-off capitol of the world :(
Quote Reply
hmmm ... Sapporo get's jack for discounts too ! Everything F''ing thing is Tokyo this and Tokyo that ... screw that smog roach infested city!

isn't your beer better?

Quote Reply
Re: [AndyNewby] Moving/Extending an ISDN line? In reply to
In Reply To:
Lol Wil, I still dream of ISDN. It is like £200 per month over here at the moment, and then the special ISP's you need to get the most out of it. Hopefully when we finally get ADSL i will get that, but I'm not holding my breath Tongue

Hi Andy. Poor you! We're actually on a dedicated T1 line up here, it's just that we use a ISDN sysem for our phones, and also to run faxing software from some machines through the ISDN line.

So does anyone know if I can safely move this using an ordinary telephone extension?

- wil

Last edited by:

Wil: Dec 14, 2001, 1:36 AM
Quote Reply
try it ... Laugh what's the worst case scenerio ??? you have to plug the old cord back in ???

Quote Reply
Nothing will get damaged if it doesn't work. I just really want to move this machine without having to pay the electrical company to come out and move the wall jack for us.

Hmm. Here goes :-)

- wil
Quote Reply
electrial company??? wouldn't it be the phone company??

well ... now this is the scond strangest place to call I've heard so far regarding ISDN ... a friend here in Japan had to call the gas company and the cable company since the phone company couldn't install his line for him !!

no just what gives here? is ISDN powered by something I'm not aware of ??? Crazy

Quote Reply
Sorry, my mistake, that should of been the phone company. Although I believe our phone and electrics are managed by one company.

- wil
Quote Reply
hmmm ... did it work? ummm ... just a regular line?

Quote Reply
Trying it tomorrow.

Will let you know :-)

- wil