Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Chit Chat :

Microsoft Caught Rigging ZD Net Poll

Quote Reply

Source: http://slashdot.org

Dj writes "Microsoft have been found to be rigging a ZDNet poll". Apparently they didn't dig on the idea of .NET losing. Of course as anyone knows, never trust an online poll because this sort of stuff is obviosly happening all the time. I just wonder how many comments posted around the net are posted with the same goals in mind.

URi => http://news.zdnet.co.uk/...269-s2102244,00.html

- wil

Last edited by:

Wil: Jan 10, 2002, 1:58 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [Wil] Microsoft Caught Rigging ZD Net Poll In reply to
Lol...good old M$ Wink How exactly were they rigging it?

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [AndyNewby] Microsoft Caught Rigging ZD Net Poll In reply to
Sorry, just posted the URi.

• A very high percentage of voters are from within the microsoft.com domain.

• There is a very high incidence of people attempting to cast multiple votes, even though the poll script blocked out most attempts at multiple voting. The one that wins the prize made 228 attempts to vote. This person was from within the microsoft.com domain.

• Several of the voters evidently followed a link contained in an email, the subject line of which ran: "PLEASE STOP AND VOTE FOR .NET!" We know this, because our logs include the Web address where visitors browsed from; when people click there from a Microsoft Exchange email message, Exchange helpfully gives us the subject line and username. The people who followed that link all had email addresses in the microsoft.com domain.

• There is also clear evidence of automated voting, with scripts attempting to post multiple times.

- wil
Quote Reply
Hey, the Advanced Editor worked well there :-)

- wil
Quote Reply
Lol...you would have thought M$ of all people would know how to cover their tracks better than that Wink

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!