Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Chit Chat :

Mel Gibson

Quote Reply
Mel Gibson
What is up with this guy? His recent film, The Passion of the Christ, has been deemed as anti-Semitic by the Jewish community. This I have no opinion as I have not yet seen the film. But given what I've heard about the film, it does sound possible - some (including non-Jews) say the film paints the Romans more as innocent bystanders that get caught up in the arrest and subsequent crucification of Christ as a result of pressure applied by the Jews who wanted Christ out of the picture (one way or the other). That aside, there are other developing stories regarding Mel Gibson that do not paint him in the best light. From MSNBC, he has been quoted as saying that all non-Catholics (whether Christian or not) will go to Hell - and in his words, it includes his beloved wife (who he claims is a good person, even a better person than himself). Mel's father has been quoted as denying the Holocaust - saying that the Jews were not exterminated by the Nazis, but rather that they ''just got up and left" Europe. Does the apple fall far from the tree? I don't necessarily see Mel as extreme as his father, but I suspect some of his father's beliefs may have rubbed off of him to Mel. Now, I'm a atheist so being told I'm going to Hell is nothing to new (I'll get that in rush hour traffic if I caught someone off :)). And, I don't give much significance or relevance to Christ - just some guy / religious zealot that was killed a long time ago for his beliefs which challenged the existing system. However, this cloud around Mel (an influential and popular actor) certainly shows him in a different light that I'm unaccustomed. Not the Lethal Weapon actor I remember. Thoughts?

----
Cheers,

Dan
Founder and CEO

LionsGate Creative
GoodPassRobot
Magelln
Quote Reply
Re: [dan] Mel Gibson In reply to
Did you poll the Jewish community to get that consensus? I've seen some have claimed that, while still more have said no. Such is the case with any controversial subject.

Earlier in the week there was a ABC show on about his film and the controversy. None of the Jewish scholars said they thought the film or Mr. Gibson were anti-Semitic, nor did the Jewish actress who plays a lead role in the film.

A couple of the 'experts' did express a concern about some audience members, and their subsequent actions, particularly abroad where anti-Semitism is very much alive and well. Excluding the Islamic countries, the hotbed of anti-Semitism remains Europe (France) & Eastern Europe (Russia) these days which is nothing new.

Gibson made a movie that he believes in, and spent his own money to do it. The box office will determine whether it is a success or not.

He's not the first high profile star to pursue their own beliefs. You've got really whacko stars like Tom Cruise & John Travolta who follow a dead, hack Sci-Fi writer and believe that extraterrestrial aliens murdered millions of years ago inhabit their bodies...and the list probably gets stranger from there.

In the end, those are their beliefs. Not much you can do about it, other than decide whether or not you spend your $ on their movies.
Quote Reply
Re: [ArmyAirForces] Mel Gibson In reply to
No, and not what I would call a consensus necessarily (not without seeing results from polling the Jewish community). So, right you are; I stand corrected. I should have said, "has been deemed as anti-Semitic by some members of the Jewish community." Clearly the notion that the Jews were responsible for the fate of Christ, goes a long ways back both in Catholic and non-Catholic Christian circles. Not the rule by any stretch of the imagination, but prevalent enough to warrant concern. White supremicists (pointy heads) in North America often use this an excuse to justify the persecution of Jews. And as an aside, Hitler (although I hate to mention SOB's name) was a Christian (albeit a notoriously uncharacteristically bad one, and a Christian only in name) who according to some historians read his Bible daily. Not a condemnation of Christianity by any means. However, religion (all religions with the possible exeception of Buddhism) tends to be divisive and inclusive at the expense of outsiders, and often can fan the flames of hatred or justify the persecution of outsiders or so-called sinners. So when a popular icon comes along to add to the divisiveness, then there is concern. Especially when the the icon's father appears to anti-Semitic. But he could have easily have turned a blind eye to his father's radical beliefs. I know my mother can be intolerant and prejudicial, but those qualities I never accepted or adopted. I find it hard to believe that Mel is some raving anti-Semitic like his father. Otherwise, he seems like a more or less decent person. And, without seeing the movie, I cannot formulate an opinion whether it is anti-Semitic and is devisive between Christians and Jews. I suppose maybe now I will see the movie. However, given some of Mel's extreme religious beliefs, I would certainly put him in the top 5% of somewhat whacko stars. Like the Jews, I don't believe in Hell, but it seems like the great place to go considering who Mel believes is going there.

----
Cheers,

Dan
Founder and CEO

LionsGate Creative
GoodPassRobot
Magelln
Quote Reply
Re: [dan] Mel Gibson In reply to
Hitler and his beliefs is an interesting subject area.

He was certainly raised Christian, during a period in Europe when anti-Semitism was in vogue. He seems to become more of an occultist, borrowing bits and pieces from everywhere...Germanic/Nordic mythology, the paranormal, but he certainly intertwined Christian elements throughout the whole scary thing.

I did see Gibson on national television. He stated up front that Holocaust did occur and that it was horrific, etc. When asked about his father's beliefs, he refused to be drawn into that argument and simply said that his father was "his father" and that he loved him.

I don't think that Gibson's film itself is adding to religious divisiveness, but the tensions outside the film certainly could. Perhaps the film will promote the opposite by opening dialog?

Although there seem to be some parties (columnists) who want to drive these frictions.
Quote Reply
Re: [ArmyAirForces] Mel Gibson In reply to
Well, we have opened up the dialog here. I'll still have to see the film before I can make an informed decision one way or the other. However, I agree in that seriously doubt that Mel shares the same fringe values and beliefs as his father. All you can do is separate yourself from their values and beliefs, but still love them nevertheless.

----
Cheers,

Dan
Founder and CEO

LionsGate Creative
GoodPassRobot
Magelln