Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Chit Chat :

MS OUTLOOK PROBLEMS

(Page 2 of 2)
> >
Quote Reply
Re: [twjeff] MS OUTLOOK PROBLEMS In reply to
Cool Hey Guys!

I had the same exact problem with a .pst file.

I thought about changing the file from read only - it was allready set correctly.

I tried using the inbox repair tool - that was a waste of time (does that thing ever work correctly?)

Then, I tried opening the .pst file on another machine. It worked! The issue here was that the .pst file was originally created by a computer running Outlook 2000 SP-3 (typical in the corporate environment). My home computer is running Outlook 2002 (typical for home users using Office XP). The third computer I tested this on was running the same version of Outlook that created the .pst file. Worked like a charm! I guess Microsoft got us again.....

Hope this is helpful.

Jose
Quote Reply
Re: [apfejes] MS OUTLOOK PROBLEMS In reply to
I'm on win2k / Office 2002 and auto-archive does work for me and all of the 800 other users...

(Btw. copy the .pst file and do a scanpst.exe on it to verify the file. It could have been that an option of the .pst file was set: encryption. Now that's a pain and we don't allow our personel to enable that option. This could be the cause of the problem as far as I can think ;)

I receive a message:

"From: my mailbox name!
Posted At: Monday, January 26, 2004 7:26 AM
Posted To: Deleted Items
Conversation: Archive Log.
Subject: Archive Log.

The operation failed.

Error while archiving folder "Deleted Items" in store "Mailbox - my mailbox name". Problems with the destination store H:\Outlook\Archief.pst."

I had solved it by recreating a new archive and reconfiguring the profile in outlook... though I have a user where it ALWAYS comes up! :eek: I h8 MS sometimes for the wacky support.
Quote Reply
Re: [jgonzalez] MS OUTLOOK PROBLEMS In reply to
In Reply To:
Cool Hey Guys!

I had the same exact problem with a .pst file.

I thought about changing the file from read only - it was allready set correctly.

I tried using the inbox repair tool - that was a waste of time (does that thing ever work correctly?)

Then, I tried opening the .pst file on another machine. It worked! The issue here was that the .pst file was originally created by a computer running Outlook 2000 SP-3 (typical in the corporate environment). My home computer is running Outlook 2002 (typical for home users using Office XP). The third computer I tested this on was running the same version of Outlook that created the .pst file. Worked like a charm! I guess Microsoft got us again.....

Hope this is helpful.

Jose
Hi all

Been through similar problems with a .pst file. In my case .pst file created in Outlook 2003 which cannot be opened in Outlook 2000 (work and home PCs respectively). Then found this http://office.microsoft.com/...setID=HA010875321033. (Check out troubleshooting at end of page.)

It seems the two are incompatible. No workaround, no fix. Good work MS!
Quote Reply
Re: [Oystergroovy] MS OUTLOOK PROBLEMS In reply to
>>>Good work MS! <<<

As always :) Thats why I try to keep a full copy of my hard drive on CD, so its just a case of restoring the backups, and voila. M$ really don't make this kinda thing easy for us general users though :(

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Did you ever get any resolution to this problem as I now have the same issue and have tried all the suggestions in this topic but without success ?

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: [i6cfab] MS OUTLOOK PROBLEMS In reply to
Did you ever get any resolution to this problem as I now have the same issue and have tried all the suggestions in this topic but without success ?

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: [twoo] MS OUTLOOK PROBLEMS In reply to
My apologies to all of you who have replied to this in the last year or so, I haven't even logged on to Gossamer in quite some time, email changes, etc.

The problem still exists and I haven't spent anymore time trying to figure it out. However, upon looking at some of the posts here I have a regained interest in getting it solved and I will try all of the new ideas since I last posted. Thank you to all of you who replied. If I get the problem figured out, I will indeed post the answer as I can see I'm not the only one with similar problems.

Thanks again and will be replying soon with an update on what's happening and if any of these ideas work.

Jeff
Quote Reply
Just replace it with Mozilla Thunderbird Smile
Quote Reply
I have a different problem and I hope someone might understand it.

Whenever I open an email, it comes up in its own window, BUT Outlooks remains on top of it; the email is under Outlook's window.

I am using Outlook 2003.

Any ideas?
Quote Reply
More Microsoft Outlook Problems In reply to
I'm having a different problem. I recently backed up my Outlook with no problems. Now when I try opening my Outlook and I click on any email that has a file attached a pop up error screeen appears. It says, "The path specified for the file f:myoutlookbackup.pst is not valid". I hit the OK button and another window pops up. It has the create/open Personal File Folder window. I have to hit cancel about 2 or 3 times before all the windows close. Does anyone know how to avoid this happening?
Quote Reply
For the benefit of those who have not yet sorted out the problem of importing/exporting .pst files, I have just downloaded MS's 'Outlook backup' add on and it seems to have done the trick. I exported from 2003 and imported into 2000 with no probs.

Outlook backup should be installed on both machines. A copy of the backup file can then be transferred to CD and copied on to the HD. (I didn't even need to change the attributes from read only). You can then import the .pst file.

Hope this helps. Sorry if the answers a bit late.

mb
Quote Reply
Re: [maltablue] MS OUTLOOK PROBLEMS In reply to
Have you tried to import .pst files the other way round, from 2000 into 2003? Does the .pst extension appear together with the icon?

My 2003 creates backups without the .pst extension, and cannot see/select the 2000 backup from the CD (also without .pst extension). It reads: "the file is not a .pst file".

The MS "Outlook backup" version I have on my 2000 system dates back to 2002. Could that explain the problem?

jg
Quote Reply
Re: [jeangaspard] MS OUTLOOK PROBLEMS In reply to
Sorry JG, haven't tried that way round although you should always copy the backup file from the CD to your hard drive before importing. As far as I am aware trying to import the backup file directly from the CD will not work. Regarding your version of 'Outlook Backup', again, I cannot answer your question, but you can download the latest version directly from the MS website.

MB
Quote Reply
Re: [maltablue] MS OUTLOOK PROBLEMS In reply to
None of these suggestions have worked for me. To sum up my problem which is the same as the original problem of this thread. I'm using Outlook 2000
1. I export my archive.pst file to CD
2. I save the CD file to my desktop
3. I try to import or open the archive.pst and am given 2 error messages.
a) Personal Folders Properties for this information service must be defined prior to use.
b) The file C:\Documents and Settings\Robin Harnett\Desktop\archive.pst is not a personal folders file.

And I'm stuck here.
It is a personal folders file and I don't know how to define the file for use.
One of the previous posts said they solved the problem but I believe they did so with the backup.pst file not an archive.pst file.
Help.

Robin
Quote Reply
Re: [harnettr] MS OUTLOOK PROBLEMS In reply to
Guys it's been several years this thread has been going, and still I have not found a solution to the problem... I'm feeling a little hopeless...
Quote Reply
Hi to all of you on this thread. I had the same problem with outlook, or a similar one. I want to let you all know about a thread on a different forum that have helped me a lot. There are some very knowledable people there who answers these questions all day long. (specially Russ Valentine and Brian Tillman)
http://office.microsoft.com (you have to register to use the forum)
Left column: scroll down, click on Office community
Left column: click on Outlook > General questions.

Oh by the way - I have learned that when you save/back-up your outlook .pst file to a cd, you should NEVER use export and import. A lot of data will be missing or get corrupt when you do that. There are several help pages they refer to that will help you. This is one of them:

The help I got off this site is very good:
http://www.howto-outlook.com/...backupandrestore.htm

Good Luck.
> >