Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Chit Chat :

Language Switcho-Chango --- Switching Languages on PC

Quote Reply
Language Switcho-Chango --- Switching Languages on PC
Hi All

I use a Windows box as my main personal pc.

I would like to know how to switch languages for the keyboard and other stuff.

For example, if the default language is English, how do I switch it to Dutch?

Or, let's say that I have a email written in Dutch from a customer. Can I somehow get my pc to do a translation, then maybe I could write the response in English, then switch back to Dutch and then send my reply in Dutch?

Or, perhaps I am helping a friend from France. The default language of her machine is French. Is there a way for me to jump on her machine, change the language to English, fool around with her files, create stuff, etc., and then convert back to French and have her machine understand all that I have done?

Many thanks.

------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: [DogTags] Language Switcho-Chango --- Switching Languages on PC In reply to
Start => Settings => Control Panel => Keyboard => Language ?

- wil
Quote Reply
If you go to the windows update page, there is a spot for you to download different language fonts... haven't messed with any of them though.

http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/

Product updates

I have a friend in the Ukraine that writes to me using some sort of translation program to get the stuff from Russian into English and it must be a "kick-butt" program because you could not tell it was translated at all.

I can find out the name of the program if you want.

Good luck! - Mike.

It's been a terrible blow to my life looking like Mussolini, you know. Especially when I was a kid, you know, I was about seven, right, and I was down the Youth Club, you know, dancing away, right, like in the 'sixties, doing the Twist you know. And, em, there was this girl, right, and she comes up to me, and she goes,"'Ere! Are you Mussolini?"
I said, "Emmm...Yeah."
She says, "I thought you was dead."
I says, "No, it was just me day off, you know."
So she pulled me over the dance floor and butted me in the face!
I said, "What's that for?"
She said, "That's for the invasion of Crete!"

Quote Reply
Re: [Watts] Language Switcho-Chango --- Switching Languages on PC In reply to
Hi Wil and Watts

Thanks very much.

Wil, I didn't know it was so easy to switch. I went in there and selected a few languages and added them. Pretty neat.

Funny thing, though. When I chose Dutch (Alt+Shift rotates through your choices), I tried typing a letter in my text editor, and darn if it still wasn't in English. I'm not sure what that means. Do you have to reboot to have it kick in? I dunno. Since I didn't see Dutch, and because I did not get any kind of prompt or anything else during the install telling me that I had to do this or that extra to get it working, I figured that there was something wrong. So, I undid the languages.

Watts. Sure, I'd love to see what kind of translation stuff your friend uses. I'm having to communicate with more and more folks from all over the place, and it would be great to have some sort of nice translation stuff working. Thanks for this.

I appreciate all your help!

Last edited by:

DogTags: Jan 24, 2002, 5:25 AM
Quote Reply
Would your friend be using the Systran program?

I have heard a few things about it, and I think it's about $80 (US).

Thanks.

Quote Reply
Not sure... I'm waiting to hear back. I'll follow up as soon as I find out.
Quote Reply
Well... here is what the reply was:

In Reply To:
Mike, you asked me about my computer translating system. I have STYLUS. Its translating quality is not quite good. I use it when I translate your letters into Russian. I sometimes absolutely can't understand its translation. Then I use a dictionary. As for my letters to you I first write them in Russian & then take them to an English teacher to translate them the way I wrote. The fact is STYLUS translates literally & not as in life.
Quote Reply
Hi Mike

Thanks for following up. I think I get it. Your friend's main source of good translation is his English Teacher. Well, that's not so bad since I know a bunch of English teachers where I am. The hunt is still on for some good translation stuff.

Onward and Upward!

Thanks, again, Mike.

Last edited by:

DogTags: Feb 9, 2002, 3:25 AM