Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Chit Chat :

KDE wins 3 top Linux awards! and releases new version

Quote Reply
KDE wins 3 top Linux awards! and releases new version
In line with that news, here's an interesting article:

http://www.robval.com/linux/desktop/index.html

Time to dump that Windows, folks! You know it makes sense.

The latest version of KDE ([url=http://www.kde.org]www.kde.org[/url]) looks super! Downloading now ...

- wil

Last edited by:

Wil: Nov 9, 2001, 3:08 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [Wil] KDE wins 3 top Linux awards! and releases new version In reply to
What do you mean by latest version? KDE 2.2.1 has been around for about two months....

Ivan
-----
Iyengar Yoga Resources / GT Plugins
Quote Reply
Re: [yogi] KDE wins 3 top Linux awards! and releases new version In reply to
I meant to say that the latest version has earned them the awards.

Are you using it yourself?

- wil
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
Are you using it yourself?
Yes, big fan!

How about you?

Ivan
-----
Quote Reply
Installing the latest version onto my Woody box now. Not sure about Woody, though. Might go back to FreeBSD or I may even go for RedHat.

Hmm. Looks well impressive though! Nicer than Windows, I'd say! Looks good. I'm going to start downloading the Office suite in a minute. How do you find Konqueror??

- wil

Last edited by:

Wil: Nov 9, 2001, 7:39 AM
Quote Reply
So you're a real nerd, using woody!

I have been using Mandrake for the past two years (coming from RedHat), and I think that Mandrake is quite a nice distro.

I am not such a big fan of Konqueror, my favourite browser is Galeon, http://galeon.sourceforge.net, i.e. Mozilla without the unnecessary stuff.

Ivan
-----
Quote Reply
Quote:
Looks well impressive though! Nicer than Windows, I'd say! Looks good.

Hmm it's about time the Welsh gov't started giving free eye tests.

Last edited by:

RedRum: Nov 9, 2001, 8:12 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [RedRum] KDE wins 3 top Linux awards! and releases new version In reply to
a) we don't have a Government. We are governed by the same Government as you.

b) my employeer provides free eyes tests due to the long hours in front of a computer monitor.

c) have you ever tried KDE? I think you'll agree that the GUI is much cleaner thatn Windows.

- wil
Quote Reply
I was j/k'ing

Quote:
have you ever tried KDE?

I answered that in the other thread

...and no I don't agree. It's about as clean as my cats litter tray.

Last edited by:

RedRum: Nov 9, 2001, 8:28 AM
Quote Reply
Well my web host is currently running potato. They're slowly converting over to FreeBSD (they don't want to install woody until it comes stable), so I'm trying to repliacte their system enivorment as much as possible on my machine.

Never tried Galeon (on my way to download <g>). I thought Konqueror was actually coming along nicely! At least it's usable now :-). I'd have to still opt for Mozilla though. I'm a big fan at the moment.

If all goes well with this KDE business and I find that the apps are easy to use, I'll hopefully move most of the office over to it. It would make a lot of sense in terms of saving money spent on IT. It would also be great for database work if I had MySQL up and running.

Ah well, I'll keep exploring for now.

One thing I don't like is the sorting of folders properly in the File Manager. It sorts all your folders first, even if you sort by date, size etc. it always stores folders first. I haven't found a way to change that yet. That's the only quirk though, which is not even work getting hot and bothered about! :-)

Cheers

Wil

- wil
Quote Reply
You have now made it my mission in life to convert you ;-)

- wil
Quote Reply
Literally as this page was loading I thought, "I'm going to convert Wil to Windows if it kills me"

.....but then I thought....hmmm I don't really care. We are both fighting a losing battle. I'm going to respect your decision to prefer Linux to Windows so I hope you can respect my decision to prefer Windows to Linux.

I've made the last of my little digs at you :)

Last edited by:

RedRum: Nov 9, 2001, 8:46 AM
Quote Reply
I haven't been converted to Linux, yet. I still use Windows every day, but I'm hoping that one day soon all my machines will be running Linux. I have to be honest and I'm yet to be convinced that all the applications suite are available on Linux to support my needs.

But I am beginning to think that it's my ignorance that is holding me back. The deeper I dig, the more applications and amazing products I find and discover. And the more I feel the 'power' of Linux. It truly is amazing, but daunting at first. It is much faster than Windows, and it does take a lot less system resources. No one can argue that fact. Which is I why I want to be able to use it. Well, not only that reason, but it would mean I could convert a bunch of machines without upgrading too much on the old buggers.

Anyway, I'm just encouraging you to give it a good shot. That's what I'm doing. I've dabbled with it many times, and always backed down going back to something I know and, well not trust, but comfortable with. Now I'm beginning to have more confidence to venture and find what I need. And I'm beginning to see that it could actually hold a lot more benefits for me than previously thought.

Linux is a hell of a lot more reliable than Windows, and I do feel that I've gotten used to the crashes and the incompatibilites of Windows. The more I use Linux the more I resent Windows and wonder why have I suffered all these years and put up with a half-baked OS.

Wil

- wil
Quote Reply
I can see your point about Linux vs past Windows versions but XP is a different story....seriously.
Quote Reply
But I'm heavily biased at the moment by the company I work for.

A big factor of me at the moment would be:

How much would it cost to upgrade 17 PCs to XP (ouch!!!) v. installing a Linux flavour. But then again, I would have to train staff to use Linux, which shouldn't be too much of a problem with the current staff we have.

Wil

- wil
Quote Reply
I guess the lines are getting blurred in respect to my thoughts on Windows. I would definitely recommend Linux over NT,2000 for a server - there is no comparison (although I have no problem testing on XP with Apache) but I would certainly choose XP for a personal computer or an office computer. (or NT). I just can't get used to using Linux in that way, but that isn't really what is was created for I suppose.

Last edited by:

RedRum: Nov 9, 2001, 9:35 AM
Quote Reply
That's true. Windows was meant for Desktop computing. While Linux was meant for a more powerful multi-user system. The situation we are seeing now is that both are pushing into each others' amrkets. That's where the lines become blurred.

Interesting few years ahead, though... hopefully.

- wil
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
I would have to train staff to use Linux, which shouldn't be too much of a problem with the current staff we have

How comfortable are you with Unix? I've installed several versions of Red Hat and just trying to get a sound card or modem to work can be daunting. Now, to be fair, Red Hat improves by lightyears with every release and the last one that I installed (not the last one released) was v 6.1 and at least on this release you didn't have to manually mount your floppy drive. That'll drive you *nuts* if you don't know what's going on. I've also found that the versions I've used were not very good at legacy support either. So you may find that you have to upgrade some cards.

I've seen KDE but never messed with it. I must say that the GUI looks much more professional than Red Hat's. Red Hat's desktop reminds of what windows would look like if it had been invented by the Russians (not meant to be derogatory - just different & kinda clunky).

I think I'm going to get KDE and put it on my new system (as soon as I get it built). I wonder if they make Myst III for Linnux? That'll be the deciding factor.Wink

Quote Reply
Re: KDE wins 3 top Linux awards! and releases new version In reply to
KDE is looking much better than 3 years ago. Still a bit more to go.

I still think that a system should be choosen by enviornment. I love my Mac but it's still not good enough for all enviornments and uses (getting close though Laugh)

I do lots of light weight work -- simple-simple graphic design, web browsing, word processing, most of which has been recently for my site. (which is now a concern -- got a dead box from a friend and gonna try to get w95 running on it again to check my site.)
-------
If I were into games like I used to be then obviously M$ still has a major advantage. Release date wise.

If I needed a server. Then a regular cheap-o-la box with freeBSD would be the choice.

If I were in an office enviornment that needed to transfer lots of data with other offices (especially non-internal) I'd go M$. M$ is like the plague and is just simply every where -- can't go solo in that type of situation.

If I were a heavy duty designer/print person ... errr ... is there an alternative ??? Mac for sure.
------

hmmm ... I agree the next year or 2 will really be a good year for end users since hardware has slowly crept on to everybody's desk which means users will start to choose a computer on the merits of usage and easy of use instead of the remembering 4 blue guys skipping and shaking in a commercial -- cool comercial though Laugh -- or choose their new computer cuz sales folks say this is the best seller in their store.

openoffice + gimp + sketch ... Smile