Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Chit Chat :

Indian Summer

Quote Reply
Indian Summer
Wow, summer just doesn't end. Clear skies (not a cloud to be seen), temperatures in the mid-20's to low 30's (Celsius), and no rain in the forecast. Gotta love it =) Might bicycle down to the beach, and suntan - although no breeze so a tad uncomfortable for me. How's the weather out there? Those in Arizona need not apply ;)

----
Cheers,

Dan
Founder and CEO

LionsGate Creative
GoodPassRobot
Magelln
Quote Reply
Re: [dan] Indian Summer In reply to
There are only about dozen days in the year where the weather along the Gulf Coast of Texas can be truly called beautiful.

This is one of them. Sunny, 78°F, and the humidity is only 37%
Quote Reply
Re: [ArmyAirForces] Indian Summer In reply to
About the same as here then, although much less humid there. Hmmm, I'd thought good weather was the norm, even on the Texas Gulf Coast. Live and learn =)

----
Cheers,

Dan
Founder and CEO

LionsGate Creative
GoodPassRobot
Magelln
Quote Reply
Well "good" is in the eye of the beholder Smile

There are two seasons here; 1) Summer, and 2) Not Summer Yet. Winters are mild. It's not unusual to find folks BBQ'ing in the backyard while wearing shorts on Christmas day.

The summer is what I hate. It doesn't get that hot, mostly in the high 90s with a week or two of 100+ degree weather. But, it's the 70 ~ 80% humidity that kills you.

Then there are the late summer hurricanes (always fun). The state bird, the Mosquito, which grow large and have been known to carry off small children.

If you are right on the coast, then you get a break with the Gulf breezes. 10 miles inland, and it starts to suck.

Fall and Spring I do enjoy here.

I do miss having four seasons though.
Quote Reply
Ahh, I see. Just the two seasons up here too: August and the rainy season =) Although definitely not this year, and less so every year. Typically we have been having these types of Septembers in the past ten years - no surprises there. No winters per se in terms of snow - except in the mountains (less in recent years). No hurricanes, except when a federal bag of wind politician drops in - then it blows as hard as it ever has (with promises of money blowing about like leaves - only to dry up and whither away, forgotten). I hear ya about the mosquito. Not quite our provincial bird (that would be the Trudeau Salmon Arm Bird - Western Canada inside joke), but closing in =) We have similar situation here. Head east into the Fraser Valley, and temperatures (and humidity) soar - along with photochemical smog from Vancouver and outlying areas. All in all, summers are great here. Not too hot (high 20's to mid 30's Celsius) and not too humid near the coast.

----
Cheers,

Dan
Founder and CEO

LionsGate Creative
GoodPassRobot
Magelln
Quote Reply
Not here in Colorado...Fall is here and glimpse of Winter on its way with high temps in mountains between 50°F and 55°F, with low temps between 20°F and 35°F...some snow showers are predicted for tomorrow and Wednesday. :)
========================================
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me
Quote Reply
Re: [Stealth] Indian Summer In reply to
But then you are up there in altitude. The "cannot-let-go-of-summer" advantages of being at sea level. But disadvantages too. I don't imagine Tsunami Alerts reach your neck of the woods =) I'll be damning you come Winter when I look upward for snow, and only get six straight months of what we like to call "liquid sunshine". Oh hell, I damn you now. Damn you =)

----
Cheers,

Dan
Founder and CEO

LionsGate Creative
GoodPassRobot
Magelln
Quote Reply
haha! LOL! Colorado is pretty nice for sun, we get as much sun as Seattle gets rain..haha! You're correct, I live at 9,200 ft. And even during the summer time, I yearn for Winter...make a few trips during the summer to a mountain wilderness area called "Never Summer Wilderness"....and it lives up to its name, even during summer months, it snows and rains up in its peaks, at above 13,000 ft.
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me
Quote Reply
Or Vancouver in terms of as much sun as rain =) Man alive, almost a couple miles up there. Cool! I'm more of a sea level sort of guy, with the emphasis of being on the ocean. However, I do enjoy being at altitude. I like to get out to the local mountains if just to check the view - Seymour Mountain (about half the altitude as you, but with great scenic view of the Vancouver Lower Mainland and more) is nice, and you can drive up it. Great hairpins - used to solo race it (up and down) when I was younger. How's the view where you are?

----
Cheers,

Dan
Founder and CEO

LionsGate Creative
GoodPassRobot
Magelln
Quote Reply
Not very nice over here in the UK. Was freezing last night, and is only about 12-15 out now. Ahhh...now I wish I was back in Spain....could walk around town at midnight, and still be in a T-Shirt and Shorts Tongue

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Indian Summer In reply to
You might be at home here now =) Today, it has chilled quite a bit (about 10 degress Celsius cooler), and we have a mixture of clouds and fog. Next it'll snow, and prove me more wrong =) Not likely.

----
Cheers,

Dan
Founder and CEO

LionsGate Creative
GoodPassRobot
Magelln
Quote Reply
hey dan,

The views are great around where I live...Here are some links to photos of the Continental Divide near my cabin:

http://community.webshots.com/...5/26313686cWfiYdxSeP

http://community.webshots.com/...12605/57648475GnMikx

http://community.webshots.com/...5/26314010fsTpMYMKRk

http://community.webshots.com/...43641/88144433FXAJjq

Note: I live about 20 miles from the Continental Divide, but I can see most of the views above by going out to the highway, about 3/4 of a mile from my cabin...which is breath-taking to say the least.

Note: None of the links are related to me at all, just found them cool and thought I'd post them rather than attaching them to conserve GT's disk space. :)
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me
Quote Reply
Oh that's not fair.....I miss the mountains.
Quote Reply
So what's this fall and winter stuff? Was like 105F here today.... :)
Quote Reply
Re: [Mark Badolato] Indian Summer In reply to
To reiterate, Arizonians need not apply. We all know it's 105 in the shade, 365 days in Arizona =)

----
Cheers,

Dan
Founder and CEO

LionsGate Creative
GoodPassRobot
Magelln
Quote Reply
but still! what is this fall and winter you speak of?? :)
Quote Reply
Re: [Mark Badolato] Indian Summer In reply to
Damned if I know, Augustine. We have different seasons up here, and only two of them: Rainy Season and August. Up here we call Arizona "The Land of August" and its mythical inhabitants, Augustines.

----
Cheers,

Dan
Founder and CEO

LionsGate Creative
GoodPassRobot
Magelln
Quote Reply
In Queensland, Australia, when asked about the weather we reply.
" Beautiful one day, Perfect the next."
Which just about sums it up. Cool

Regards

minesite