Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Chit Chat :

Greetings and salutations

Quote Reply
Greetings and salutations
I thought I should introduce myself instead of 'skulking' about in the shadows.

Hello to you all, I am quite recently baptised into the world of e-commerce after what seems like a lifetime of corporate marketing, but I think I am getting the hang of SEO, link building, viral marketing et al, as well as the tools which make all the more easier.

Perhaps someone can answer a question for me, without my getting shot down in flames because the answer may be obvious and I'm proved to be a mere novice...

Why do the link popularity reports from Alexa/ Marketleap provide such differing results?

i.e. mirago.co.uk

Alexi = 1619 Marketleap = 129,890

There is probably a simple and I will be grateful if anyone can help to clarify this for me

Last edited by:

cobra: May 27, 2003, 6:13 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [cobra] Greetings and salutations In reply to
Hi, and welcome to the forums Smile

I would imagine its down to the fact that they use different technologies, marking schemes etc. For example, Alexia may give 5 points for being linked on one site, whilst the other one may only give 1. At the end of the day, its not so much down to your site popularity, but more down to the re-visits you get from current users. Believe it or not, return visitors are far more valuable than people coming to your site because of good search engine rankings; thinking the site is crap/poorly designed, and never coming back.

I've had many sites in my last 5-6 years of the Internet, and you learn that not everything is as it seems. Learn to take reports such as those in questions with a bit of salt Sly

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Cheers Andy,

I'm sorry my question wasn't clear enough. It was not so much the scoring values for the link popularity that I found confusing, but the actual figures for the No. of external links they suggest the nominated site have.

The results are so varying it tends to make the data useless. It would'nt be so bad were the results to vary proportionally - but the are all over the place???
Quote Reply
I would tend to go with Alexia's report. Marketleap may be tracking actual pages linked to you, rather than 'unique sites'.

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Greetings and salutations In reply to
Well, kep in mind that numbers do matter but it's more important to get Quality Links. I would suggest use both tools. I am into this SEO game for several years now and it's a nice cat and mouse game and till you work in Search Engine Ethics, dont use any spamming techniques, things are yours for long time to go.
>> Nakul Goyal (SEO, Link Building Expert)
Web Site Promotion
Tips 'n' Tricks
SEO News

Quote Reply
Re: [nakulgoyal] Greetings and salutations In reply to
I enjoyed reading this discussion. As I have been learning there is so much 'fluff' and BS about what is the best way for search engines to get to love your site. I say love it as opposed to hating it and getting into heaps of trouble. It appears things like meta tags count only very little these days and a few other issues. Any of you experts give some pointers on the matter.

Help is appreciated.
Quote Reply
Re: [Gypsypup] Greetings and salutations In reply to
I would say one of all aspects of SEO, Title tag optimization, incoming links with your link text are most important. And never do any kind of spamming.
>> Nakul Goyal (SEO, Link Building Expert)
Web Site Promotion
Tips 'n' Tricks
SEO News