Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Chit Chat :

Google Chrome

Quote Reply
Google Chrome
Hi,

Whats peoples thoughts on Google Chrome Beta?

http://www.google.com/chrome

First impressions - its seems VERY quick, pretty packed full with cool features and stuf.

Lemme know if anyone knows of any problems they may come across Smile

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Google Chrome In reply to
Not the best source, but have a look here at a story I read today:

http://www.cnn.com/2008/TECH/ptech/09/03/review.chrome.ap/index.html

----
Cheers,

Dan
Founder and CEO

LionsGate Creative
GoodPassRobot
Magelln
Quote Reply
Re: [dan] Google Chrome In reply to
Hi,

Thanks for the link - interesting read. I didn't realise Flash stuff was such as resource hog in FF (to be honest, even on my 6Ghz/4GB RAM PC, I still have quite bad slowdowns on FF - and really, IE 7/8 doesn't even seem to be much better - nor do I like the new style of menu system, compared to the normal type of menu stuff (as we have in FF). Each to their own though.

Personally, I think we just need to give Chrome a little bit longer in terms of development time, and see what they can muster up - after all, this is only a beta - and from first impressions, I'm pretty impressed with it (the first time I loaded it, after rebooting my PC - it only took 1 second to load - compared to FF taking about 10 seconds - so thats pretty impressive on its own Smile)

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
6ghz? Are you sure?

As for Firefox taking 10 seconds to load, sounds like you have a serious issue with your pc. It takes 2 seconds for me on a 2.4ghz with 2GB RAM.

IE8 Beta2 is better than Chrome IMO at present - not surprising though as it is a more mature product.

Last edited by:

Wychwood: Sep 3, 2008, 11:49 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [Wychwood] Google Chrome In reply to
Yup, well not quite 6ghz - its actually 5.3ghz, with 4GB RAM (see attached image)

It wasn't that slow when I got it - but it could just be cos I have a lot more stuff there now (or, maybe just my temp folder is getting too large). Either way, FF does take 10 seconds to load (from the PC starting), and Chrome only takes a second, or 2 max.

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
My experiences (2.8GHz / 8 GB) with FF support that FF can be a resource hog - especially with Flash.

----
Cheers,

Dan
Founder and CEO

LionsGate Creative
GoodPassRobot
Magelln
Quote Reply
A dual core 2.66ghz doesn't equate to 5.3ghz. You can't just double it up.

What graphics card do you have?? - your Vista rating is only 1.0 so you mustn't be seeing the sexy Aero Glass interface.
Quote Reply
My memory card is:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/geforce_8500.html - upon bootup, it says 512mb ram, so I'm guessing thats what I is.

Gotta admit - I'm not that good with PC spec (I've only owned about 4 PC's in 8 years, so don't really know the "jargon", or what dual processors are all about - so excus my ignorance Wink)

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Re: [dan] Google Chrome In reply to
dan wrote:
My experiences (2.8GHz / 8 GB) with FF support that FF can be a resource hog - especially with Flash.
Yeah, I found on my last PC (2.6ghz, with 1GB RAM), that FF and IE both struggled.

When I got this new machine, FF was really quick - but I've got a feeling it could be the size of my temp folder thats causing the problems. Just cleaned it out (as it was over 1gb in size) ... but I didn't wanna delete my history, otherwise I'll be here forever and a day trying to remember where things are, and the logins :D

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Well, after deleting my temp files - FF does seem tob e going a lot quicker now - about 2-3 seconds to load (and pages are being rendered quick).

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Another good read: http://blog.statcounter.com/2008/09/chrome-whos-losing/

Sandra Roussel
Chonsa Group Design - Fresh Start Housing
Quote Reply
Re: [SandraR] Google Chrome In reply to
Interesting read. I can't believe how low the % for FF is! I would have thought it would be nearer the 40% mark of the overall share - but guess I was wrong :D

One thing I'm a little wary of - is how they got their stats Tongue

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
An annoying thing I just found - is that when you save a file, then go back on the SAME page to save another one - it defaults back to the main /Downloads folder. What a bummer!
Quote Reply
用过,不过多了几个进程,感觉还待优化此软件。
Quote Reply
Re: [hnjmbbs] Google Chrome In reply to
Hi,

For anyone who doesn't speak Chinese (as I don't ;)), here is what that translated to:

Quote:
With, but many several advancements, had felt also treats optimizes this software.

(only checked in case it was someone trying to be clever spamming in another language :P)

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
It wouldn't exactly be clever as no-one would understand it Wink
Quote Reply
haha, but neither is posting in a real post in a language that most people don't understand <G>